Coniglio alla ligure
Rabbit, Liguria-style Authentic Italian recipes
Rabbit, Liguria-style is cooked in an unusual way, in the red wine. Besides it's a low-calorie-and-low-fat recipe. An intelligent choice for people who want to eat light and healthy. Its recipe is easy-to-do and can be made all year round. Mediterranean diet recipe.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 1000g (2.2 pounds) raw rabbit, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) black stoned olives, halved
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) red wine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: about 60 minutes
total: 1 h 15 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 300 (kcal) 15 % GDA (*) - 1257 (kJ)
Protein: 35.5 (g) 48 % GDA
Total fat: 17.6 (g) 26 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 0.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 0.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Preparation and cooking
- - Wash rabbit pieces under cold running water and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Let rabbit pieces fry lightly in a saucepan without fat for about 5 minutes, turning them now and then.
This step is necessary to make its inside liquid goes out from the meat.
- - Meanwhile prepare olive oil together with rosemary in another saucepan.
- - Remove rabbit pieces from the first pan and add in the second pan with olive oil.
- - Let them fry lightly on all sides for some minutes and then pour in the wine.
Continue cooking, half-covered, stirring now and then, until meat is tender.
Add olives and chives 15-20 minutes before the end of cooking.
Add some hot water or vegetable broth only if necessary.
Let the cooking juice reduce well.
Season to taste with salt few minutes before the end of cooking.
Just before serving
- - Serve your rabbit in red wine warm or hot.
- - A lot of people use garlic instead of chives. We prefer chives because the recipe is more delicate. We think garlic covers the taste of the other ingredients.
- - This is a do-ahead dish. Keep some cooking juice in the pan and when you warm up the meat, let it reduce well.
- - The Ligurian rabbit is a simple but tasty main dish, low in calories. You can easily choose this recipe for your daily menu without any problem. The recipe is for all seasons.
- - Let's talk now about the choice of this dish for your special menus.
I'd choose Ligurian rabbit for an unusual menu if compared to traditional Italian scheme: appetizer, first course, second course and dessert.
Think of a get-together with different recipes. Everything on the table at the same time, the guests pass the dishes. An informal meeting with your favorite friends, in other words.
- - The recipe for rabbit Liguria-style is very light. The only problem, once again, is the amount of protein that comes from the excessive use of meat when compared with the recommended daily serving.
The right amount of rabbit meat, including all will be discarded, that is all the bones, is 160g (5.6 ounces) up to 200g (7 ounces). In this case the amount is 250g (8.8 ounces) per head.
The problem is easily solved by choosing for lunch to be served with pasta or rice, vegetable sauces and thus limiting the meat to one meal.
- - Fiber per serving: 0.4g
What's the right wine for " Rabbit, Liguria-style " ?
Our suggestion is to match the same wine used to cook rabbit. We generally choose Bonarda Oltrepò Pavese (red wine of Lombardy)
Rating: 1/ vote cast: