Cappone ripieno di marroni
Capon filled with chestnuts Our original home cooking
Capon is a traditional Christmas dish in Italy. You can roast, stew, boil it or make a delicious stuffing to fill it ... The recipe in this page, capon stuffed with chestnuts, is mine, repeatedly tested during the Holidays. Everyone will surely like it. But test it first. The same recipe can also be adapted to turkey.
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 1 2kg (4,4 pounds) capon
- 400g (14 ounces) chestnuts
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) turkey sausage
- 2 sherry glasses of "Mirto", a liqueur from Sardinia - Italy or Marsala
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 1 hour
cooking: 2 hours
total: 3 hours
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 445 (kcal) 23 % GDA (*)- 1861 (kJ)
Protein: 26.9 (g) 54 % GDA
Total fat: 30.8 (g) 45 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 12.4 (g) 5 % GDA
Sugars: 4.5 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (96 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for capon stuffed with chestnuts and sausage
Preparation and cooking
- - Make slits in the chestnut shells and put them in cold water.
Bring to the boil, lower heat and boil, fifteen minutes.
Shell all your nuts and remove their skins as well.
Then mix chestnuts with fresh sausages, both roughly chopped.
Add a sherry glass of "Mirto"
Season with salt.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Prepare your capon.
Remove its visible fat (the capon is often very fat) from the neck or inside the opening of the cavity.
Remove any stay feathers or pin feathers.
Rinse it outside and inside under cold running water, removing any bits of blood still remaining.
Then dry well with kitchen paper.
Season with salt its inside.
Put the filling in the cavity and close it.
Add olive oil in a shallow ovenproof baking dish.
Season with salt its outside and put it in the baking dish.
Bake the capon, about 2 hours.
At the end sprinkle it with the second sherry glass of liqueur.
Just before serving
- - Serve your capon warm or hot.
- - You can cook your capon in advance and heat it up just before serving.
- - You can serve it whole or already portioned.
- - Capon stuffed with chestnuts and sausage is a traditional dish in a only-meat Italian Christmas menu.
It can be combined easily with most of the pasta dishes, typical of Holiday season.
- - It serves 12 because it is included commonly in a full menu consisting of an appetizer, first course, main course and dessert.
What's the right wine for " Capon filled with chestnuts "?
Our suggestion is an aromatic white wine or a young red wine.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1