Faraona alle olive
Guinea fowl with olives Authentic Italian recipe
I did not think that guinea fowl with olives was so tasty. Instead the recipe, that by the way is very simple and requires few ingredients, is always successful in my family. So I recommend it highly. Mediterranean diet recipe
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 1/2 (about 600g - 1.3 pounds) eviscerated guinea fowl
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) onion
- 30g (1 ounce) shallot
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 80g (2.8 ounces) green olives, stoned
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if liked
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 90 minutes
total: 1 hour 45 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 353 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1477 (kJ)
Protein: 40,4 (g) 80 % GDA
Total fat: 19.2 (g) 28 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.3 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 2.3 (g) 3 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (16 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for guinea fowl with olives
- - Flame guinea fowl to eliminate easily all spikes of feathers still present. Remove any visible fat. Then divide it into two portions.
Slice onion and shallot finely.
Wash thyme sprig and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Put olive oil, onion, shallot, thyme and guinea fowl in a saucepan.
- - Let all fry slightly on low heat, stirring and turning the meat over to brown it on all sides.
- - Pour in wine. Let it boil, some minutes. Then turn guinea fowl pieces over and let wine boil again, other 2 minutes.
- - At this point cover with about 1 liter (2.1 pints - 4 1/4 cups) hot water, add olives, season to taste with salt and pepper (if liked) and continue cooking, half-covered, on low heat until the meat is tender, at leat 90 minutes.
- - Cooking liquid must be well reduced.
Just before serving
- - Your recipe is ready.
Serve it hot or warm.
- - This is a ahead recipe.
- - Guinea fowl skin is a little fat and then when you brown it at the beginning and the end of cooking, it melts into the saucepan partially, giving the olives a fantastic taste. The olives reciprocate, making the meat very tasty ;))
- - Prepare guinea fowl with olives for your family menu. Accompany it with a side dish made with seasonal vegetables but remember to use a little olive oil as dressing (1 teaspoon per head). The best choice would be raw vegetables or green salad. Complete your meal with a portion of bread (50g - 1 3/4 ounces).
- - I do not recommend it for your get-togethers, especially if formal, because like all birds it is not easy to eat it with knife and fork without leaving too many leftovers ;))
- - The meat portion in this recipe is greater than that recommended by nutritionists (the edible part of guinea fowl is about 60 to 65%), and then its high protein value derives from this. Nowadays people are invited to eat less meat for a lot of reasons. You have to think that a standard portion should be between 70 to 100 grams for no more than 4 or 5 times a week (consider that the main meals are 14). However, it is difficult to make portions of this kind for the guinea fowl. Generally, I enjoy my serving and plan carefully my other weekly meals including more vegetarian menus.
- - Fiber per serving: 1.5g
Recommended daily intake is 30 grams. For this reason I have already suggested a side dish with seasonal vegetables.
What's the right wine for " Guinea fowl with olives "?
The first time my husband and I tasted this recipe, we uncorked a bottle of red wine from Trentino: Teroldego Rotaliano. We like this pairing for guinea fowl with olives.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1