Tacchino ripieno di carni e fichi
Meat-and-fig-stuffed turkey Our original home cooking
Stuffed turkey is typical on Italian Christmas table, especially in the north. This recipe is made special by the combination of pork loin, salami and dried figs without sugar. A super filling that everyone will definitely like. In the site you will also find many ideas with stuffed capon too. Look for them in the same directory of this recipe.
Ingredients / Serves 8
- 1 2.5kg (5 1/2 pounds) turkey, gutted
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) pork loin, minced
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) salami, in a piece
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) soft dried figs with no added sugar
- 1 egg
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) onion
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 300ml (10 fluid ounces - 1 1/3 cups) orange juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 2 hour
total: 2 hour 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 376 (kcal) 19 % GDA (*)- 1572 (kJ)
Protein: 41.0 (g) 82 % GDA
Total fat: 20.9 (g) 30 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 6.0 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 5.8 (g) 7 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (51 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Meat-and-fig-stuffed turkey recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare turkey.
Flame your turkey if necessary to remove any remaining feather more easily.
Wash it under running water and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Squeeze oranges (at least 4 big oranges to have the suggested dose).
- - Prepare filling.
Chop together salami and figs finely and add to minced pork. Add egg and chives too.
Pour in 2 tablespoons orange juice. Season to taste with salt but be careful: salami is already salted.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Stuff turkey.
Salt the inside.
Fill internal cavity, completely.
Close its opening with one or more long toothpicks.
Salt turkey externally too.
- - Prepare turkey for oven.
Place chopped onion, orange juice mixed with olive oil and rosemary in a big baking pan.
Put your turkey in the pan too.
- - Cooking.
Bake turkey, about 2 hours.
Turn it every 20 - 30 mins.
Just before serving
- - If you want a dramatic entrance, serve it exactly as you can see in the photo. But, generally, I prefer to leave aside every sensationalism and choose convenience and goodness. Therefore, when my turkey is almost cooked, I remove it from the oven, let it cool and then do portions leaving its filling entire. Generally enough cooking liquid remains. A final step in the oven ensures a complete cooking inside and flavor all pieces much more. Serve each portion with a bit of stuffing.
- - Prepare this turkey ahead. Divide it into portions and complete cooking just before serving it.
- - My stuffed turkey is very good in the following days too. So, if you have any piece left, do not worry.
- - Stuffed turkey is a traditional dish for Holiday season.
- - Serve this stuffed turkey accompanied by green sesonal salad, orange salad, roast or fried potatoes.
- - If you think how many ingredients are in this turkey filling, calories and fat are not high. The problem is in the other courses of your Holiday season menus.
- - Fiber per serving: 0.6 grams.
What's the right wine for " Meat-and-fig-stuffed turkey "?
The wine should be matched according to the whole meal. This stuffed turkey can be paired with Italian Prosecco of Valdobbiadene, a white wine or a red, not tannic wine.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 2