Quaglie allo spumante
Black-truffle-flavored quails in sparkling wine gravy Authentic Italian recipe
Black-truffle-flavored quails is a tasty and refined main course for an important celebration menu. Keep in mind you need two expensive ingredients: black truffle and rosé sparkling wine. This means this quail recipe is not suitable for your normal weekly menu. Besides, if you follow my tips in "healthy eating" and reduce the doses suggested in the traditional recipe, this dish is ideal for your Mediterranean diet.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 12 quails
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) unsmoked bacon rashers
- 1 400g (14 ounces) can cherry tomatoes with half of its juice
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) leek
- 15g (1/2 ounce) black truffle, thinly sliced
- 3 glasses of rosé sparkling wine
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Chilli pepper, if liked
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 30 minutes
total: 1 h
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 506 (kcal) 26 % GDA (*)- 2117 (kJ)
Protein: 58.5 (g) 117 % GDA
Total fat: 28.9 (g) 42 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 3.2 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 3.1 (g) 4 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (115 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for quails cooked in sparkling wine
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare quails.
If they are not bought oven-ready, you have to pluck, draw, clean and singe them.
Put a pinch of salt (and chilli powder, if desired) in the stomach cavity of every fowl.
Wrap every quail in a bacon rasher, securing it with kitchen string or a tooth-pick.
- - Chop finely.
- - Clean and slice black truffle.
- - Put olive oil, leek and quails in a large saucepan and brown your fowls all over, on low heat.
Increase heat, add sparkling wine and let it evaporate partially.
Add in cherry tomatoes with half of their juice.
Season to taste with salt.
Bring to the boil and cook over a medium heat until cooking juice thickens, 15 to 20 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Add chives and truffle slices just before turning off the stove.
Stir very well and with delicacy.
Serve warm after few minutes.
- - For a more intense flavor of the truffle, you should use two of them. You'll grate the first one and add it to your quails in cooking a few minutes before turning off the stove. The second one will be used, sliced, as a garnish
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in other news about black truffle? Follow the link!
- - As you can see, the nutrition facts of quails with sparkling wine is very high if you use these doses for quails (generally suggested in all Italian cookbooks). Indeed, the right portion is only a quail per head according to healthy eating. In this case all the values that you can read on the nutrition facts are automatically cut in half.
The choice is yours.
On the other hand, the dish is very tasty and refined. It can be served in a full menu where it is much easier to serve a quail per head. If you want to prepare this quail recipe with sparkling wine and black truffle for your family and do not want to exceed on the calories, proteins and fats, accompany them with a double side-dish: cooked vegetables and raw vegetables for a good well-balanced meal.
What's the right wine for " Black-truffle-flavored quails in sparkling wine gravy "?
Generally, my husband and I pair this quail recipe with the same rosé sparkling wine used in cooking.
Rating: 2.6 / vote cast: 5