Crostata di ciliegie
Cherry tart Authentic Italian recipe
Cherry tart is a typical cake we Italians are used to make n May and June, the cherry season!
If you're able to prepare shortcrust pastry, cherry tart is a simple-to-do cake. On the contrary you can buy ready-to-use shortcrust pastry. I recommend you to use ripe but firm good-quality cherries. It's a typical cake for kids and adult. Pair Brachetto d'Acqui (wine of Piedmont) with cherry tart. Other Italian cakes and desserts?
- 650g (1.3 pounds) rich shortcrust pastry (one and half the doses of our recipe)
- 600g (1.4 pounds) firm, ripe cherries
- 8 vanilla wafers, chopped
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) cherry jelly
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 301 (kCal) 16 % GDA (*) - 1261 (kJ)
Protein: 4.3 (g) 6 % GDA
Total fat: 13.6 (g) 20 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 42.3 (g) 16 % GDA
Sugars: 21.0 (g) 24 % GDA
Cherry tart recipe
- - Remove stone from your cherries.
Wash and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
Put them apart.
- - Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- - Meanwhile butter a baking tin or dish.
- - Roll 400g (14 ounces) shortcrust pastry out to a thickness of 1/2 in.
Line your baking tin with shortcrust pastry and sprinkle chopped wafers over.
Remember to put apart a little of your pastry to garnish.
- - Fill up with cherries.
- - Brush fruits with jelly.
- - Create some decorations with the rest of shortcrust pastry, according to your fancy.
Arrange them on the top, near the edge as you can see on the photo.
- - Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the surface is golden.
Just before serving
- - Remove your cherry tart from the oven.
- - Let your tart cool very well before serving
- - You can use ready-to-bake shortcrust pastry or you could make the pastry by hand following our directions (shortcrust pastry) or your favorite recipe.
- - You could prepare this cherry tart the day before. It's even tastier!
- - You can keep your cherry tart two or three days in the refrigerator.
But remember to bring it back to room temperature before serving.
- - This tart is tastier with cherries with their stones but if you prepare it for formal meal it is better to remove them ;)))
- - This cherry tart is perfect to close a spring menu based on meat dishes according to our opinion. Here it is a menu of mine!
Starter: an assorted antipasto platter (made with salami and cheese). Look for other recipes in our page dedicated to Italian antipasto ideas
First course: the short pasta you prefer dressed with sauce with ham and peas.
Second course: beef stew, Tuscan-style accompanied with fried artichokes
Dessert: this cherry tart
What about my menu for a birthday dinner or a get-together with your favorite friends?
- - This cherry tart is definitely not a dessert to prepare for your daily breakfast or snacks.
Although its calories don't seem excessive, please compare them with an average daily diet of 2000 calories for an adult. You can't eat this cherry often.
Choose it seldom, for exampe for a special occasion. A birthday menu, a dinner with your friends, a Sunday lunch in spring when cherries seem to call you with a force that does not know any resistance ....
Anyway prefer raw cherries to make full use of their nutrients especially their vitamin content.
For every day you should choose dry or baked cakes wit a low content in fat and sugar as recommended in the guidelines of a healthy diet.
- - Cherries have a high water content and sugar variables from 11 to 22%. They have a preventive action against heart disease and stroke according to some American studies on their use, but it must be a diet rich in cherries ;)))
Cherries are diuretic, refreshing and have a slight laxative action too.
Besides, keep in mind the presence of flavonoids, ie those antioxidants substance capable of slowing the aging process.