Frittelle di mele
Apple fritters Our original home cooking
Apple fritters are one of the best known and loved sweet fried food throughout Italy. They are present on our tables on many occasions from Carnival parties to children birthday celebrations. Very good and simple-to-make sweet recipe. This is the version of my family.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 400g (14 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 15g (1/2 ounce) active dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Grated rind of a lemon
- 1.2kg (2 2/3 pounds) apples
- 90g (3.2 ounces - 1/2 cup) sugar
- Extra virgin olive oil or peanut oil for frying
- Icing sugar
preparation: 20 minutes
plus resting time for the batter
cooking: 30 minutes
total time: 50 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 374 (kcal) 19 % GDA (*)- 1566 (kJ)
Protein: 10.0 (g) 20 % GDA
Total fat: 2.1 (g) 4 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 84.2 (g) 32 % GDA
Sugars: 33.1 (g) 37 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (144 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Apple fritter recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare a batter with flour, eggs, ground cinnamon, sugar, lemon zest, 500ml (2 pints - 2 cups) water and yeast.
Use a whisk and add flour through a sieve to avoid lumps.
Your batter should be neither liquid nor too firm.
Allow it to rest, about 1 hour.
- - Then peel and slice apples.
Add them to your batter and stir very well.
- - Heat a good quantity of oil in a frying pan and deep fry spoonfuls of the mixture over a high flame until light golden brown.
Remove all fritters with a slotted spoon.
Transfer them on absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess of fat.
Just before serving
- - Dust your apple fritters with icing sugar.
- - Serve them warm or cold.
- - Use your favorite apple variety for this recipe.
- - You can cut apples into slices or rings, as you prefer. If you cut apples into rings you can make batter with half the doses and so ... half the calories ;)))
Be careful to choose the right fritters if you have to plan a buffet. In this case prefer apples cut into slices.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You could also be interested in rice fritters. Our directory dedicated to Italian cakes and desserts has a lot of sweet fritters and fried pastries. Go back to the index, it's easy. Look under the navigation bar at the top of this page.
- - Nutrition facts of these apple fritters are related only to their ingredients. In fact I could not consider cooking method. For this dish, as it happens with all sweet and savory fried food, it is virtually impossible to know how much oil is absorbed and so it's really unprofessional to declare precisely calories and fat.
If you want to have at least an idea, add to nutrition facts 100 to 150 calories per 100 g of apple fritters, once cooked and weighed.
What's the right wine for " Apple fritters "?
My husband and I always pair a dessert wine to apple fritters such as Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco (sweet wine from Piedmont - Italy).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1