Frittelle di mele al forno
Baked apple fritters Our original home cooking
You know how much unhealthy fried cakes are. Fried cakes are rich in calories and fat. So it is better not to eat them too much. They should be made seldom. So I tried to make some fried cakes modifying the way of cooking: in other words baking them and not frying them. My husband Carlo and I use to bake instead of frying. Well and now … step-by-step instructions to make these delicious apple little cakes :))
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 160g (5.6 ounces) kamut flour
- 1 egg
- 1 yolk
- 2 organic oranges
- 1 organic lemon
- 30g (1 ounce) sultanas
- 40g (1 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 250g(8 3/4 ounces) apple
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 25 minutes
total time: 55 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 260 (kcal) 13 % GDA (*)- 1089 (kJ)
Protein: 9.7 (g) 20 % GDA
Total fat: 3.6 (g) 6 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 48.1 (g) 18 % GDA
Sugars: 22.3 (g) 25 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (35 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Baked apple fritter recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare first ingredients.
Soak sultanas in warm water, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Wash lemon and oranges and pat dry with kitchen paper.
Grate the peel of lemon and one orange and put apart.
Squeeze the two oranges and put their juice apart. You need about 80ml (2 2/3 fluid ounces – 1/3 cup) of orange juice. Add a bit of milk if it isn’t enough.
- - Begin making your dough.
Beat egg yolk and whole egg together with granulated sugar until a foamy mixture forms.
Add the amount of cinnamon you prefer, lemon and orange peel.
Stir very well with a wooden spoon.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line two baking sheets with oven paper.
- - Assemble your apple fritters.
Sift flour and baking powder into the mixture of sugar and eggs and gradually whisk in orange juice until well combined.
Your dough must be thick, on the contrary you can have some difficulties in composing your cakes on baking sheet. Add other flour if necessary.
Peel the apple and cut it into thin slices.
Drain sultanas and squeeze out.
Add apple slices and sultanas to your dough.
Stir very well.
Spoon your dough on baking sheet.
You must get the shape you can see in the photo.
- - Bake until their surface is well golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Remove baking sheets from oven and your cakes from the oven paper after some minutes.
Sprinkle your baked apple fritters with sugar if you want.
Serve your cakes warm or cold.
- - You can preserve baked apple cakes at room temperature, two to three days.
- - I often use kamut flour. Of course, you can also make these cakes with plain flour. Just be careful on its amount: your dose may change. I suggest you start with a slightly lower amount. You always have time to add more flour at a later time.
- - Here it is a variant. If you do not have to make them for kids, you can replace orange juice with milk (70ml - 2 1/3 fluid ounces) and a bit of Cointreau or Strega liqueur.
- - Prepare baked apple fritters in winter when oranges are in season.
- - They can be a choice for a kid party but even adults love them and so if you have to plan a buffet at any time of the day, think of them. In fact, you always have to consider, in planning a buffet, to satisfy the tastes and needs of all! A perfect example could be a carnival party. Not everyone loves or can eat fried cakes. So at least an alternative recipe with baked sweets is certainly to be done.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in the most traditional recipe for apple fritters, Italian-style?
- - Baked apple fritters are a good example of healthy food for kids and adults if compared to traditional fried sweets.
- - With these doses you can make 12 to 14 apple sweets that are enough for 4 people. Three of these baked sweets are a possible breakfast for an adult (accompanied by a cup of tea, for example). However, I recommend you not to plan them frequently, seen the amount of sugars and carbohydrates. In this regard, be careful to the sugar composition of the other meals in the day.
- - Fiber per serving: 1.9 grams
What's the right wine for " Baked apple fritters "?
Pair a dessert wine to these baked apple fritters especially if served in a meal, buffet style.
Rating: 4.5 / vote cast: 2