Cornmeal flatbread Our original home cooking
This yellow focaccia owes its name to the presence of maize flour in the dough, however balanced by the common wheat flour. It's really delicious to accompany cold cuts. So I really recommend it for a delicious Italian antipasto. I created it just for this ;))
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 200g (7 ounces) cornmeal
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 5 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pinches of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 7g (1/4 ounce) active dried yeast
- 1 little potato
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 300ml (10 fluid ounces - 1 1/3 cup) warm water
preparation: 40 minutes
plus leavening time
cooking: 25 minutes
total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 654 (kcal) 33 % GDA (*)- 2737 (kJ)
Protein: 13.5 (g) 27 % GDA
Total fat: 22.3 (g) 32 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 106.6 (g) 40 % GDA
Sugars: 2.9 (g) 4 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (159 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Cornmeal flatbread recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Boil the potato.
- - Prepare flatbread dough.
You have to dissolve yeast in half a glass of warm water (30°C - about 80°F) with salt and sugar too.
Put white flour and cornmeal in a bowl or on a work surface.
Make a well in the center and pour into yeast with all its water, 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon dried chives and puréed potato.
At this point, slowly, begin mixing all ingredients, adding warm water gradually, until a soft dough forms.
It's difficult to say how much water you need.
The quantity can vary every time. It depends on the two kinds of flour, temperature and other variables.
You may have to add much more water or more flour if the dough is very sticky.
But do not worry! You'll become very good in a short time. You only need to try a few times.
Knead your dough on the floured work surface until it is smooth and elastic and there is no trace of the dough on your fingers, 10 minutes.
- - Leavening.
At this point oil a 35cm (14in) round baking sheet with 2 teaspoons olive oil (you can also use two smaller baking sheets).
On the lightly floured surface, roll out your dough to about 1 inch thickness to fit the pan.
grease the top with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with remaining chives too.
Cover with a napkin and allow to rest until it doubles in size in a warm place, faraway from draughts, at least 2 hours.
If it is cold, you can put a bowl full of hot water under the sheet with your dough.
- - Baking.
Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
Bake your flatbread, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Cooking time is indicative; everyone can adjust it to his oven.
Just before serving
- - Serve your focaccia hot or warm.
- - You can vary the proportion of the two flours according to your own taste.
- - This flat bread is excellent if served with salami, grilled vegetables, tuna in oil ... This is a suggestion for a lunch or a dinner menu or for an afternoon snack.
- - You can serve this focaccia as antipasto too to accompany assorted salami. It serves much more than 4. you can consider 8 people.
- - It is a perfect choice for a buffet.
- - This is a high-calorie focaccia and this is all due to the amount of olive oil, surely. The only solution is to reduce olive oil but it will not be so soft.
- - Fiber per serving: 3.9 grams
What's the right wine for " Cornmeal flatbread "?
Pair a young red wine or a rosé wine to this kind of focaccia. Pairing also depends on your full menu.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1