Spaghetti al pomodoro
Tomato spaghetti recipe Traditional Italian recipe
One of the quickest, cheapest but tastiest pasta recipe is tomato spaghetti. Pasta sauce can be made with fresh or canned tomatoes according to the season, any herbs, a good-quality olive oil and your dish is ready. While cooking spaghetti you can prepare pasta sauce: it doesn't need a long cooking time. Finally look at calories, fat, sugar ... fantastic! Maybe that's why Italian cuisine is famous the world over: a few simple ingredients are enough to make a big pot.
Ingredients / Serves 1
- 70g (2 1/2 ounces) pasta
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) young fresh onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) puréed tomatoes
- Basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Chilli, if you like
preparation: 10 minutes
cooking: 20 minutes
total: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 380 (kcal) 19 % GDA (*)- 1588 (kJ)
Protein: 10.4 (g) 21 % GDA
Total fat: 12.5 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 60.0 (g) 23 % GDA
Sugars: 7.6 (g) 9 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (107 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Tomato spaghetti recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare tomato sauce.
Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil.
Use a non-stick frying pan.
Then add puréed tomatoes.
Season to taste with salt and continue cooking only for few minutes.
Add a pice of chilli, if liked.
- - Meanwhile you can cook spaghetti.
Bring to a boil a large kettle of water.
Salt water and cook spaghetti until al dente stage.
- - The last step.
Drain pasta and transfer into the sauce.
Add basil cut into pieces.
- - Flavour all ingredients on high heat stirring well with delicacy.
Just before serving
- - Serve your spaghetti hot at once.
- - Accompany your spaghetti dish with a little bowl full of grated Parmesan or Grana Padano.
Everyone can serve himself according to his own taste.
- - You can choose the pasta shape you prefer. The best choice is whole-wheat pasta for a healthy recipe.
- - If you don't like garlic use dried chives and more onions.
- - In summer you can use raw tomatoes (about 200g - 7 ounces). Chop tomatoes after peeling them. Sauté garlic and onion. Add tomatoes to the pan, season to taste with salt and cook pasta sauce for about 10 minutes until cooking juice is well reduced. Toss pasta with this sauce and some basil leaves.
You can also use raw tomatoes in summer without cooking them for a tasty sauce. Peel tomatoes, chop them and dress with olive oil, basil, salt and pepper if you like. You can also add some raw onion, finely chopped. Prepare raw tomato sauce while you are cooking pasta. Drain it and pour into tomato sauce. Stir, let it rest for half an hour and serve. It's fantastic!
- - On the photo you can look at raw cherry tomato spaghetti dish! Fantastic summer recipe.
- - You can complete you meal with meat (100g - 3 1/2 ounces) or fish fillet (150g - 5 1/3 ounces) with the accompaniment of seasonal vegetables (200g - 7 ounces). Use only 2 teaspoons of olive oil to dress. Indeed the best thing would be using 2 teaspoons olive oil for your whole meat (pasta dish and second course).
- - I have already pointed out many aspects in previous paragraphs. Here I want to remind you that tomato spaghetti is a great dish from nutritional point of view because it is pretty balanced with regard to major nutrients.
- - Nutrition facts are calculated for 70 grams (2 1/2 ounces) of pasta but the typical serving is 80 grams. It is obvious that if you increase spaghetti amount you have to reduce your second course.
- - Fiber per serving: 3.5 grams
- - For a healthier recipe: don't sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. Simmer onion in little water for few minutes, add tomatoes and complete cooking. Transfer drained spaghetti in the sauce. Stir on high heat to flavor all ingredients. Turn off the stove and add basil, fresh chives and olive oil. This is a cooking method to preserve nutritional properties of olive oil. It tastes fantastic, believe me. If you don't miss garlic flavor use a little of garlic oil.
What's the right wine for " Tomato spaghetti recipe "?
Drink a glass of good red wine but remember in 100ml of red wine there are 75 kCal!
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1