Rigatoni fave e salsiccia
Rigatoni pasta with sausage and fava beans Our original home cooking
Fava bean and sausage rigatoni pasta was born one evening in our kitchen. My husband and I were back from a trip to Genoa with a bag of fresh and crisp fava beans from Ligurian coast. A look at the freezer confirmed us the presence of sausage. Said and done. Mindful of my grandmother's kitchen, I focused on this recipe. My grandmother was from Abruzzo and cooked fava beans very often. Simplicity and absolute goodness were her must. I learnt a lot of things from her. Seriously :))
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 160g (5.6 ounces) rigatoni pasta
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) sausage
- 400g (14 ounces) fava beans in the pod
- 1 400g (14 ounces) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- Pepper, if liked or preferably hot red chilli pepper
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 25 minutes
total: 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 598 (kcal) 30 % GDA (*)- 2501 (kJ)
Protein: 21.5 (g) 43 % GDA
Total fat: 25.1 (g) 36 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 73.7 (g) 28 % GDA
Sugars: 12.6 (g) 14 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (57 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for fava bean and sausage rigatoni pasta
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare ingredients for pasta sauce.
Shell fava beans and put apart.
Crumble sausage and set aside.
- - Prepare pasta sauce.
Pour olive oil in a non-stick frying pan.
Let fava beans fry slightly on medium heat, stirring often, few minutes.
Then add sausage too.
Let all ingredients flavor, a couple of minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes too and stir.
Lower heat and continue cooking, other 5 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, if liked.
Stir very well.
If you prefer red hot chilli pepper, let it fry together with fava beans.
- - Meanwhile, cook rigatoni al dente in abundant salted water.
Drain well and transfer your pasta to the pan with the sauce.
Just before serving
- - Sauté your pasta on high heat, less than a minute , stirring with delicacy, to complete its cooking and flavor everything well.
- - Serve your pasta on individual plates accompanying it with a bowl of grated Pecorino cheese.
Everyone will be so free to sprinkle it according to his own taste.
- - Prefer fresh chives when in season.
- - If you have any pasta left do not worry, it's delicious heated in a frying pan or reworked as omelette. Provided you have leftovers ;))
- - Pasta with sausage and fresh fava beans is a typical dish of spring that can be chosen both for your family menu or for a get-together with friends or relatives.
- - Consider that if you prepare it for your family it's a single-course dish. Complete your meal only with fresh fruit, having regard to calories.
- - This pasta is very very good but you can not do often for the following reasons.
First of all it is not very correct to associate meat and beans, both are source of protein. It would be much better to associate only legumes and cereals, that is fava beans with pasta. But once in a while ...
Secondly, you have surely read its calories and fat. Good, yes, but ...
- - Fiber per serving: 6.2 grams (daily intake 23 grams)
What's the right wine for " Rigatoni pasta with sausage and fava beans "?
My husband and I usually uncork a bottle of Merlot, but we also like very much Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Cerasuolo (rosé wine from Abruzzo) to match to my pasta recipe with fava beans and sausage.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1