Orecchiette alla barese
Bari-style orecchiette (strascenate) with rapini or broccoli rabe Authentic Italian recipe
Orecchiette with broccoli rabe, Bari-style, is a dish from Apulia. It is a vegetarian recipe if you do not use anchovies and is very simple to do. I do it without garlic but with some extra flavor and is equally good. Try and see ;)) Typical autumnal and wintry recipe for the Mediterranean diet.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) rapini (broccoli rabe)
- 280g (10 ounces) "orecchiette" (short pasta from Apulia region)
- 5 anchovy fillets
- 60g (2.1 ounces) grated Pecorino (ewe's milk cheese)
- 2 tablespoons capers in vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Hot chili pepper
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 20 minutes
total time: 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 467 (kcal) 24 % GDA (*)- 1953 (kJ)
Protein: 17.2 (g) 23 % GDA
Total fat: 19.5 (g) 28 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 59.4 (g) 22 % GDA
Sugars: 6.9 (g) 8 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (112 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Rapini orecchiette recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Clean rapini removing a part of their stalk and tough leaves.
Wash them under running water and cut them in chunks.
- - Bring to a boil plenty of salted water.
Add rapini and after few minutes orecchiette too.
Cook al dente stage and drain very well.
- - Just before draining orecchiette ...
... heat olive oil together with hot chili pepper and anchovies in a non-stick frying pan, on low heat, until anchovies melt.
- - Transfer drained orecchiette and rapini into the pan. Add drained capers too.
Stir with a wooden spoon and sauté, few minutes, to complete pasta cooking and flavor all ingredients, on medium-high heat.
Just before serving
- - Serve hot. Place on the table a little bowl full of freshly-grated Pecorino cheese, if liked.
- - You can add a garlic clove, if liked. Often, I add chopped onion or shallot to other ingredients.
- - If you use salted capers, desalinate them thoroughly before using.
- - Do not confuse rapini with flowers and leaves of red or white turnips.
- - If you follow a healthy diet, rapini orecchiette is a good choice. If you make it often, replace anchovies in oil and capers in vinegar with items in salt.
- - It is one-plate meal. Finish your meal with seasonal fruits.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Look at my post on Google plus to see rapini photo.
- - In the nutrition facts for rapini orecchiette, Pecorino cheese is included (about a tablespoon per head).
- - Broccoli rabe is low in calories (22 kcal per 100g) and about 3 grams of fiber. Besides, it is also rich in iron, calcium, phosphorus and polyphenols.
- - Remember that for its high content of purines, broccoli rabe is not recommended for people suffering from hyperuricemia.
What's the right wine for " Bari-style orecchiette, or strascenate, with turnip tops "?
Our suggestion is a good-quality rosè wine.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1