Strozzapreti from Emilia Traditional recipe
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 500 g (1,1 lb) white flour
- 200 ml (7 fl oz - 3/4 C) water
- 55 g (2 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
preparation: 40 minutes
plus resting time for pasta
cooking: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 321 (kcal) 17 % GDA (*)- 1344 (kJ)
Protein: 13.4 (g) 27 % GDA
Total fat: 2.9 (g) 5 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 64.4 (g) 24 % GDA
Sugars: 1.4 (g) 2 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (118 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Step-by-step instructions for making this pasta, Emilia-style.
Put flour and Parmesan cheese on a work surface. Make a well in the centre and add egg whites in it together with a little water. Season to taste with salt. Beat egg whites and water with a fork or your fingers and then slowly draw in flour from the edge of the well; keep on drawing in flour and adding water gradually, until a soft dough forms. It's difficult to say how much water you need. The quantity can vary every time. It depends on the flour, on the temperature and on other variables. You'll sometimes have to add much more water; or you'll have to add some flour if the dough is very sticky. But don't worry! You'll become very good in a short time. You only need to try a few times. Knead the dough on the floured work surface for 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic and there is no trace of the dough on your fingers. Cover with a napkin and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes faraway from draughts.
When the dough is ready, cut into thirds or quarters. Work with 1 piece at a time but remember to keep the remaining pieces covered.
Roll out pasta dough on lightly floured surface, beginning from the centre, to a thickness of 0,3 cm (1/8in); you have to use a long pasta rolling pin for this. Be careful! you have to sprinkle flour on the surface of the dough before rolling up.
Roll up dough and cut crossways noodles (tagliatelle): 0,5 cm -1/4in
Unroll noodles and spread on the work surface. Take an end of every noodle and rub between your hand palms. So you obtain a great spaghetto. Cut it into 5 cm (2in) pieces and put everyone on a clean towel; sprinkle with white flour or semolina. Make the same step with all the noodles. It is important to avoid sticking while the pasta is drying. You can use a large surface. Let dry for 2-3 hours before cooking. You can make pasta the day before.
Boil pasta in abundant salted water. It's difficult to say how much time is necessary for this: you should taste pieces of pasta frequently
Drain pasta and dress with the chosen sauce.
- - You can dress this pasta with different sauces made with pork or duck meat, vegetables and meat or with black truffles, butter and pine nuts. Black truffle is a typical product of Emilia and other Italian regions. If you want to prepare this last sauce, you have to melt 100 g (3 1/2 oz) butter in a saucepan over a gentle flame and then, away from flame, sprinkle 45 g (1 1/2 oz) freshly ground black truffle. Stir and use for dressing pasta. Sprinkle with 100 g (3 1/2 oz) grated Parmesan and garnish with thin slices of truffle.
- - Our suggestion is to choose wine according to the dressing. If you use butter, truffles and pine nuts, you could serve a white wine. With meat sauces serve a red wine.
What's the right wine for " Strozzapreti from Emilia "?
Our suggestion is to choose the wine according to the dressing
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1