Spaghetti alla chitarra con anatra
Spaghetti alla chitarra with duck sauce Our original home cooking
Spaghetti alla chitarra is a particular kind of pasta from Abruzzi and other southern regions in Italy. This long shape pasta has a square section (not round as regular spaghetti) and works very well with meat, cheese or fish sauces. You can make spaghetti alla chitarra at home or buy them ready to cook, fresh or dried. Below, you can find links to other recipes of mine and online shops where to buy them dried.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- For homemade spaghetti alla chitarra
- 150g (5.3 ounces - 1 1/2 C) kamut flour
- 50g (1.76 ounces - 1/2 C) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- For pasta sauce
- 350g (12.4 ounces) duck legs
- 120g (4.23 ounces) onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 400g (14 ounces) can peas, carrots and corn kernels
- 150ml (5 fluid ounces) rosé wine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 60 minutes
plus rest time for egg pasta
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 hour 50 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 437 (kcal) 22 % GDA (*)- 1827 (kJ)
Protein: 28.8 (g) 58 % GDA
Total fat: 17.2 (g) 25 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 42.4 (g) 16 % GDA
Sugars: 2.2 (g) 3 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (9 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for spaghetti alla chitarra with duck sauce
Preparation and cooking
- - If you want to make spaghetti alla chitarra at home.
Prepare egg pasta with the listed flours. Below, the link to my recipe for egg pasta. Let it rest for half an hour in a cool place.
Run it through your pasta machine more times until you have smooth and elastic sheets, about 1/8-inch thick.
You should have chitarra (link below to see and buy it, if you want) to cut your egg pasta. Place chitarra on work surface. Flour every pasta sheet and place on chitarra. Using a floured rolling pin, press down on every pasta sheet to cut into strands. Arrange your spaghetti on trays sprinkled with durum wheat flour. Do not stratify your pasta to avoid sticking.
Let pasta rest, at least an hour or more. Better to do it the day before.
- - Meanwhile prepare pasta sauce.
Place duck legs in a saucepan together with half the onion. Cover with cold water and simmer until tender.
Let meat cool.
Meanwhile chop remaining onion and transfer it into a non-stick frying pan together with olive oil and bay leaf.
Remove skin from duck legs and bone them. Cut meat into little strips.
Add meat to the pan too and let all fry slightly, stirring often, some minutes.
Pour in wine, let it evaporate partally and then add some tablespoons duck stock.
Add other aromatic herbs and complete cooking on medium heat, half-covered.
Few minutes before turning off the stove add canned vegetables, well drained and eventually cut into smaller pieces. Season to taste with salt.
Do not reduce too much cooking juice.
- - Cook pasta in abudant salt water, drain and transfer it into the pan. Let all flavor on high heat, stirring often but with delicacy.
Just before serving
- - Serve immediately spaghetti alla chitarra accompanying your dish with grated Parmigiano cheese.
If you have guests, remember to never serve the dish already sprinkled with grated cheese. The cheese bowl will be on the table and every guest will be able to serve himself.
- - Making egg pasta dough, you may need to add some liquid. In this case use duck stock, if ready. A tablespoon at a time.
- - This is a dish rich in ingredients, so if you prepare it for your family lunch on Sundays, complete your meal only with a seasonal vegetable dish or fresh fruit.
- - If you want to serve it in a full Italian menu, decrease the serving. You might serve 6 to 8 people.
Useful links for this recipe
- - As promised, my step-by-step directions for making egg pasta.
- - Here chitarra pasta cutter!
- - Some online shops where you can buy ready-to-cook spaghetti alla chitarra. Amazon is the first with Gragnano Pasta and Barilla. But I want to report Buy-me.it with Filotea pasta too.
- - Other recipes for spaghetti alla chitarra? with egg and speck sauce, with shrimp and artichoke sauce, spaghetti and meatballs (a typical Italian-American recipe).
- - Calories do not seem too high but duck meat is rich in fat and vegetables are not fresh. This is not a dish for a healthy diet. It can not be made often. Do you agree?
- - Fiber per serving: 1.2 grams.
What's the right wine for " Spaghetti alla chitarra with duck sauce "?
Match Lambrusco (red wine from Emilia) or a young red wine.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1