Trota alla piemontese
Poached trout with herbs and sultanas Traditional recipe from Piedmont
This recipe for trout is a light and tasty main course that is typical of Piedmontese cuisine in Italy. The taste of this river fish works very well with sultanas and chosen aromatic herbs.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 4 fresh trouts
- 40g (1.5 ounces) sultanas
- 1 lemon zest, grated
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 celery stalk
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) onion
- 3 sage leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried chives
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 250ml (8.5 fluid ounces - 1C) fish stock
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 20 minutes
total: 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 243 (kcal) 13 % GDA (*)- 1017 (kJ)
Protein: 20.8 (g) 42 % GDA
Total fat: 14.2 (g) 21 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 8.5 (g) 4 % GDA
Sugars: 8.5 (g) 10 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (43 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for poached trout with herbs and sultanas
Preparation and cooking
- - Soak sultanas in lukewarm water, 20 to 30 minutes..
- - Meanwhile ...
Remove fins, scales, gut and then wash trouts under cold running water.
Chop rosemary leaves, onion, garlic, celery and sage, all together.
Transfer all into a large skillet and pour in olive oil too.
Let all fry slightly, on low heat, few minutes, stirring often.
Then add trouts, vinegar, lemon zest, fish stock and sultanas well squeezed from soaking water.
Season to taste with salt and cook on medium heat, half-covered, about 15 minutes.
Cooking time depends on trout size.
Halfway through cooking, turn all trouts on the other side.
Just before serving
- - You can serve your trouts whole, drizzled with their cooking sauce.
Or you can remove their bones and skin, reassemble and sprinkle with cooking juice.
- - If you do not like garlic, you can increase chives.
- - Poached trouts with aromatics and sultanas can be a good idea for your weekly family menu. In this case you can accompany them with seasonal vegetables.
- - Trouts cooked this way can be a choice for a full fish-based menu too. Below a link to a Christmas menu example.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Follow the link, if interested to an easy Christmas fish-based menu.
- - Fiber per serving: 0.8 grams
- - Generally I use a trout weighing 250g per serving.
- - If you want to reduce fat, you can use less olive oil. Remember there are 90 calories and 10 grams of fat in every tablespoon olive oil.
What's the right wine for " Poached trout with herbs and sultanas " ?
My husband and I suggest a bottle of dry white wine from Trentino (Italian region) such as Trentino Chardonnay.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1