Tortino di alici
Anchovy pie Our original home cooking
Anchovy pie is a savory pie that you can do in a short time and without any pastry shell around. Ideal for seafood lovers. Serve it as appetizer or single-course meal or, in smaller portions, second dish in a typical Italian menu. It's an example of Mediterranean diet.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 500g (1.1 pound) fresh anchovies
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) stale bread
- 20g (3/4 ounce) flat-leaf fresh parsley
- 125ml (4 1/4 fluid ounce) low-fat yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried bay leaves
- Grated rind of a lemon
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 40 minutes
cooking: about 30 minutes
total: 1 h 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 353 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1476 (kJ)
Protein: 26.7 (g) 54 % GDA
Total fat: 10.9 (g) 16 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 38.9 (g) 15 % GDA
Sugars: 8.0 (g) 9 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (163 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Anchovy pie recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Clean anchovies and reduce them into fillets.
- - Prepare the other ingredients.
Meanwhile soak stale bread in milk.
Clean, wash and chop finely parsley.
- - Before cooking.
Put anchovy fillets, bread (squeezed of its soaking milk), chopped parsley, yogurt, eggs, dried chives, dried bay leaves and lemon rind in a big bowl.
Season to taste with salt and begin mixing all your ingredients with a wooden spoon.
Stir with delicacy not to break too much anchovy fillets.
- - Baking.
Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
Oil a baking pan and sprinkle with plain dried breadcrumbs.
Pour in your mixture, level and oil its surface and sprinkle with plain dried breadcrumbs.
Bake for about half an hour or until pie surface becomes golden.
Just before serving
- - Let your pie rest for some minutes before serving.
- - You can eat this anchovy pie warm or cold.
- - Anchovies are the most typical product of many seas. They're inexpensive and very healthy.
Besides they are not endangered and can be freely bought.
- - It's a tasty one-plate meal or, in small portions, a second course in a typical Italian menu. You can accompany it wit a seasonal green salad, tomato salad or boiled potatoes.
- - Serve anchovy pie as starter too, according Italian style.
What's the right wine for " Anchovy pie "?
My husband and I suggest to match Bianco di Pitigliano (DOC wine of Tuscany - Italy).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1