Baccalà con sedano rapa
Salt cod casserole with celeriac Traditional recipe of Trentino (Italy) reworked by B.C.
Salt cod is cooked in many different ways in Italy. Each region has its own recipe. On this page you will find the recipe for salt cod that a friend of mine, starting from the cod version cooked in Trentino and with the changes she thought more appropriate, created. A really delicious dish of salt cod flavored with celeriac.
Ingredients / Serves 5
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) cod in salt
- 600g (1 1/3 pound) potatoes
- 750g (1 2/3 pound) celery root (celeriac)
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Half a glass dry white wine
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Some fresh leaves marjoram
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 1 hour
total: 1hour 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 360 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1506 (kJ)
Protein: 42.1 (g) 85 % GDA
Total fat: 11.7 (g) 17 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 23.0 (g) 9 % GDA
Sugars: 5.5 (g) 7 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (105 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for salt cod with celeriac
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare salt cod.
Soak salt cod, cut into large pieces, in a bowl of cold water for 24 hours, taking care all pieces are all covered by the liquid.
Change many times.
- - Boil salt cod.
After this time, drain fish pieces very well and put them in a pot with the amount of cold water enough to cover them.
Bring to a boil.
Then lower heat and continue boiling for 15 minutes.
Drain fish and put cooking water apart.
Remove its skin and cut its flesh into medium pieces.
- - Preheat oven to 230°C (450°F).
- - Boil potatoes and celeriac.
Peel potatoes. Peel celeriac and cut it into not too thin slices.
Cook all these vegetables in the cooking water of salt cod until half cooked.
Drain well potatoes and celeriac slices.
Put apart all vegetables and cooking water.
- - Cook onions.
Slice onion finely.
Put 2 teaspoons of olive oil, a ladle of the water in which you have cooked your salt cod and onion in a pan.
Cook over low heat until all liquid is well reduced.
- - Prepare ingredients in the casserole.
Put 1 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large casserole, preferably earthenware.
Gently place the pieces of cod. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and grated nutmeg.
Add marjoram too.
Pour in wine too.
Cover fish with potato and celeriac slices.
Make a last layer with onions.
Remember to add some pieces of bay leaf in the last layers.
- - Baking.
Bake for about 15 minutes.
Remove your casserole from the oven and add the water where you have cooked first fish and then vegetables, to cover.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Put in the oven again and bake until all cooking juice is well reduced.
Just before serving
- - Remove from the oven and serve directly in the casserole.
- - Add no salt for salt cod is already salty.
- - Celeriac helps to flavor this cod dish and increases its digestibility.
- - You can cook soaked cod in water and milk for a more delicate taste.
- - Salt cod with celeriac is a great dish for your family menu but it can be the main dish in a full menu too as long as its portions are smaller.
What's the right wine for " Salt cod casserole with celeriac "?
We drank Muller-Thurgau (an aromatic white wine of Trentino - Italy) with our friend when she prepared this dish. We enjoyed this salt cod dish very much pairing this wine.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1