Cefalo al forno
Baked grey mullet Traditional recipe
Baked grey mullet dish is very easy to prepare. Grey mullet is a fairly cheap fish and therefore accessible to all. But not everyone loves its taste. So be careful when you purchase it. Mediterranean diet recipe.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 1 600g (1 1/3 pound) grey mullet, whole
- Some sprigs flat-leaf fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 10 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 50 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 300 (kcal) 15 % GDA (*)- 1256 (kJ)
Protein: 26.1 (g) 53 % GDA
Total fat: 21.2 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 1.3 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 1.3 (g) 2 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (210 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Baked grey mullet recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare grey mullet.
Clean your fish and remove its scales.
Wash it under cold running water.
- - Baking.
Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
Place lemon slices on the bottom of a deep baking pan but put apart some of them.
Put your fish on lemon slices on its stomach as you can see in the photo.
Sprinkle with olive oil and parsley.
Season to taste with salt and arrange remaining lemon slices on the fish.
Bake for 40 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Take your pan out of the oven and place the fish on a large serving plate.
Remove its skin and bones and prepare single helpings.
Sprinkle every helping with the cooking juice in the pan.
- - My husband took this photo before baking.
- - Who can eat high-fat food can spread some mayonnaise on the fish.
- - You can serve it cold too!
- - I recommend grey mullet for your family menu.
It is a fatty fish and has strong flavor that not everyone likes ;)
- - Serve baked grey mullet with boiled seasonal vegetables or seasonal green salad.
- - It seems the portion that I suggest is significant, but in reality the waste for grey mullet is about 50%. So in this way you will return to the portion of fish per person: 150 grams.
- - There is no fiber in this dish.
What's the right wine for " Baked grey mullet "?
Our suggestion is: Collio Pinot Grigio (white wine from Friuli-Venezia Giulia).
Rating: 3.5 / vote cast: 2