Filetti di cernia con zafferano e piselli
Grouper fillets with peas and saffron Traditional recipe of Sardinia
Grouper fillets with saffron and peas are an alternative way to cook this fish with firm and inviting flesh. Undoubtedly it is very convenient to cook and bring it to the table because thornless making it ideal for children. We tasted this recipe in Sardinia during our summer holidays and now I show you my version. All year round recipe for the Mediterranean diet too.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 400g (14 ounces) grouper fillets
- 60g (2.1 ounces) young fresh onion, chopped
- Some sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 200g (7 ounces) frozen peas
- 150ml (5 fluid ounces - 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) dry white wine
- 150ml (5 fluid ounces - 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) water
- 1 sachet of Saffron ground powder (0.15g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if liked
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 30 minutes
total: 45 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 326 (kcal) 17 % GDA (*)- 1365 (kJ)
Protein: 40.1 (g) 81 % GDA
Total fat: 14.4 (g) 21 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 9.8 (g) 4 % GDA
Sugars: 6.0 (g) 7 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (126 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for grouper fillets with saffron and peas
Preparation and cooking
- - Let onion and bay leaf fry lightly in olive oil, in a non-stick frying pan, on low heat.
Pour in water and wine.
Bring to a boil.
Then add saffron; stir very well.
Now you can add frozen peas too!
Bring to a boil again and go on cooking for 10 minutes.
Add grouper fillets. Season to taste with salt and pepper (if you like it).
Continue cooking, on a low flame, turning over the fillets now and then, until cooking juice is well reduced.
Cooking time depends on fillet thickness (10 to 15 minutes).
Add parsley just before turning off the stove.
Just before serving
- - Serve hot or warm.
- - For the best result use the same wine to piar, Vermentino, to cook fish too.
- - Don't think to have a dish rich in yellow; 1 sachet of saffron isn't enough! But two sachets are too many for the taste.
- - This is an ideal recipe for children. In fact children like peas; besides grouper fillets have no bones. In this case it's better not to use pepper.
- - This recipe for grouper fillets with saffron and peas are a great idea for a tasty family dinner. Quick and simple to do. They are a great one-single course.
- - But you can also choose this recipe for a full menu, Italian style specially if the other dishes are too elaborated and long to do.
- - Please note that in this case I haven't observed the correct portions of fish that should be 150 grams per head. If you want to decrease calories and especially proteins, use 300 grams of grouper fillets instead of 400 grams.
What's the right wine for " Grouper fillets with peas and saffron "?
When my husband and I ate these grouper fillets for the first time the waiter had suggested Vermentino di Sardegna (white wine from Sardinia - Italy). It's perfect to pair to this dish!
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1