Merluzzo alla mugnaia
Cod meuniere Authentic Italian recipes
The recipe is the twin of the most popular sole meuniere. Meuniere cod fillets are simple and quick to do all year round. Too bad that you are not able to read fat and calories but it is impossible to calculate the exact amount of flour used in breading and, a fortiori, all oil absorbed.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 8 cod fillets (about 600g - 1 1/3 pound)
- All-purpose flour
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Unsalted butter or margarine
- Lemon segments
preparation: 10 minutes
plus marinating time
cooking: 15 minutes
total: 25 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: n.c. (kcal) - n.c. (kJ)
Protein: n.c. (g)
Total fat: n.c. (g)
Total carbohydrate: n.c. (g)
Sugars: n.c. (g)
Download free PDF version (92 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Cod meuniere recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Marinating.
Dip your cod fillets in milk for about 30 minutes.
- - Frying.
Drain cod fillets and then dip them into flour.
Meanwhile heat olive oil mixed with unsalted butter in a non-stick frying pan.
Fry your cod fillets for few minutes on every side.
Be careful in turning over your cod fillet not to break them.
Transfer them on absorbent kitchen paper in order to remove the excess of fat.
Just before serving
- - Season to taste with salt and serve immediately accompanied with lemon.
- - Somebody uses to fry cod fillets only in butter but the dish is too heavy.
You can fry your cod fillets only in olive oil but it would be wrong to call this dish: meuniere cod ;))
Another suggestion is to substitute olive oil with peanut oil for a lighter fried food.
- - You can also use frozen cod fillets after thawing them.
- - Somebody makes baked cod meuniere. In other words, he replaces frying with baking in the oven. I confess that I am one of those people!
- - I suggest this dish for your family menu.
- - Accompany meuniere cod fillets with seasonal green salad, tomato salad or other vegetables rich in fiber.
Some nutritionists also suggest to accompany your fried food with radishes to limit the "damage" of frying.
- - Do not eat fried food too frequently. It isn't certainly one of the best cooking methods. The amount of fat and calories are not advisable especially for people suffering from metabolic diseases.
But if you get the urge of fried food it is always better to prepare it at home.
What's the right wine for " Cod meuniere "?
My husband and I pair Bolgheri Rosato ( rosé wine from Tuscany - Italy).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1