Insalata di seppie
Cuttlefish salad Our original home cooking
The cuttlefish salad is a dish ideal for summer menus or when you have to celebrate and plan a buffet party all year round. It's easy to do but not quick. You can do it in two steps, the first the day before.
By the way cuttlefish or squid for you?
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1,2 kg (2.6 lb) giant black cuttlefish
- 1 fresh young onion, peeled
- A stalk of celery, cleaned and washed
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 juniper berries
- A bouquet garni
- Half a glass of vinegar
- 500 g (1.1 lb) potatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 30 minutes
plus cooling time for cuttlefish
cooking: about 80 minutes
total: 110 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 332 (kcal) 17 % GDA (*)- 1388 (kJ)
Protein: 23.2 (g) 47 % GDA
Total fat: 18.3 (g) 27 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 19.8 (g) 8 % GDA
Sugars: 1.6 (g) 2 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (115 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Cuttlefish salad recipe
Prepare the court-bouillon. Begin with the bouquet garni made with chives, parsley, lemon balm and thyme sprigs.
If you don't find these fresh herbs, you can use dried ones. In this case add 1 teaspoon of everyone to the court-bouillon.
Put the whole onion, carrot, celery, bouquet garni, juniper berries, bay leaf and vinegar in abundant salt water.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
Clean and cook the cuttlefish. Meanwhile prepare your
cuttlefish. Remove its bone, entrails and the small bag with cuttlefish black.
You can preserve cuttlefish black (also in the freezer) for preparing risotto or pasta.
Remove the skin, eyes and mouth and wash under cold running water to clean it very well.
Transfer the mollusk into the court-bouillon and boil over a medium heat until soft. Generally it takes about an hour.
Prepare the potatoes. Meanwhile steam potatoes.
The last step. Let the cuttlefish cool in the court-bouillon and then cut into little pieces.
Transfer them in a large bowl together with cubed potatoes, dried or fresh parsley and chives and the amount of lemon juice you prefer.
Dress with olive oil and season to taste with salt.
Your dish is ready.
Tips and menu planning
- - Wait for at least an hour before serving.
- - Choose medium or large size cuttlefish for the best result.
- - Prefer fresh chives and parsley in season.
- - You can prepare this salad in two days. Cook the cuttlefish in the court-bouillon the evening before and let it cool in its cooking water overnight. The day after, calmly, you can complete your dish.
- - Another tip. You can re-use your court-bouillon. Filter and use it for cooking pasta or rice and make another tasty salad. Dress your pasta or rice salad with a seafood sauce. Remember: in the kitchen you have not to throw anything!
- - It's a tasty one-plate meal for your weekly summer menu. But you can choose it for a buffet menu in a great occasion.
- - Daily menu. The dish contains only 1.7 g of fiber all due to potatoes since cuttlefish have no fiber.
The dish is poor in carbohydrates. However you must plan the other meals very well not to exceed the daily protein intake.
Remember the nutritionists say you should give up any bread because the potatoes are a good source of amides.
Complete your meal with assorted raw vegetables and fresh seasonal fruit. Another tip could be a tasty vegetable soup or minestrone (even in summer, if served warm or cold, it tastes fantastic!).
The cuttlefish salad would be served at dinner, the ideal time to assume protein.
- - Celebration menu. If you prepare it for a celebration menu don't worry too much about the nutrition facts. It's a rare event, isn't it?
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine you have to add 80-85 kCal per 100 ml.
- - I remember you our original home recipes can be made without salt. There is a combination of flavors that substitutes salt. Other no salt recipes ...
What's the right wine for " Cuttlefish salad "?
Our suggestion is: Breganze Pinot Bianco (wine from Venetia - Italy).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1