Zuppetta di vongole
Clams chowder Our original home cooking
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb) clams
- 300 ml (10 fl oz - 1 1/4 C) puréed tomatoes
- 100 ml (4 fl oz - 1/2 C) dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 10 minutes
plus the time for washing the clams
cooking: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: XX (kcal) - XX (kJ)
Protein: XX (g)
Total fat: XX (g)
Total carbohydrate: XX (g)
Sugars: XX (g)
Download free PDF version (135 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Wash the clams dipping them in plenty of salt water for at least 30 minutes. It would be better to repeat this step for other times.
Put the clams in a pan without fat and switch on the gas; let the clams on high heat, covered, until their shells open. Move the pan now and then to let the heat spread uniformly. Take the clams out of the pan with the skimming ladle and put apart; filter the juice formed during the cooking through a towel and put apart.
Pour the puréed tomatoes, aromatic herbs, the filtered juice and wine in a pan. Let the sauce cook for about 5 minutes, switch off the gas, add the olive oil and stir.
Pour the clams into the sauce and let all the ingredients flavour for few minutes just before serving. Serve hot.
- - It's a tasty dish with low fat and calories. You can serve it as appetizer together with toasted bread slices.
- - Remember to put plates or bowls on the table for the empty shells and some bowls full of water to let your guests clean their fingers.
- - With this recipe you can prepare a tasty sauce for spaghetti or linguine. It is enough to remove the molluscs from the shells, put them in the tomato sauce and reduce more it. If you want, you can let some molluscs on their shell for a stagy presentation.
- - You can substitute dried parsley and chives with fresh aromatic herbs in summer.
- - If you want to know more on the molluscs, how to clean and cook them, consult our cookery school.
What's the right wine for " Clams chowder "?
Our suggestion is: Bianchello del Metauro (white wine from Marches - Italy).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1