Moscardini in guazzetto
Musky octopus stew Traditional recipe
Musky octopus are cephalopod molluscs with eight tentacles and a single row of suckers, very similar to octopus but smaller. Musky octopus from Caorle sea are very special. My husband Carlo and I tasted them stewed. Just got home, we wanted to try the recipe. A real specialty. Simple-to-do and delicious.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 600g (1 1/3 pound) musky octopus
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fish broth
- Fresh parsley (if liked)
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 289 (kcal) 15 % GDA (*)- 1209 (kJ)
Protein: 28.6 (g) 58 % GDA
Total fat: 17.7 (g) 26 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 3.8 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 3.8 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (83 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Musky octopus stew recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Clean musky octopus.
I try to leave them intact as much as possible. Generally, I overturn their mantle, thus exposing their innards that I remove. Then I cut their eyes, remove their beak protruding between tentacles, peel their mantle and, as far as I can, even their tentacles. I wash them thoroughly under running water to remove traces of sand from their suckers and thoroughly clean the inside of their mantle.
- - Cook musky octopus.
Put olive oil and garlic in an earthenware pot or in a thick-bottomed saucepan.
Let garlic fry slightly and then add musky octopus too, stirring frequently on high heat.
Meanwhile prepare fish broth.
Musky octopus will curl and then form a little liquid.
Pour in fish broth, a ladle at a time, and continue cooking until tender. Nevertheless leave a lot of cooking liquid.
It's difficult to say how much time you need. All depends on musky octopus size.
Control cooking with a fork.
Season to taste with salt, if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Serve musky octopus stew, still hot, sprinkled with cooking liquid and chopped parsley, if liked.
- - My husband and I prefer not to use garlic and replace it with chopped onion. We let it fry slightly, about 5 minutes, before adding musky octopus.
I know garlic lovers that use garlic-flavored olive oil to cook musky octopus.
If you don't know the taste of guests, I suggest you not to use garlic. Now more and more people are intolerant or do not love it.
- - Cooking technique "in guazzetto" also includes tomato puree. It is a personal choice. We prefer to cook musky octopus in white without adding any tomato.
- - Another tip. If you can prepare shrimp scampi or prawn broth you'll have a fantastic dish.
- - As you can see, I serve musky octopus stew accompanied by polenta, according to Venice style.
- - Musky octopus stew can be a fantastic one-plate meal served with polenta (it serves 2) or a main dish accompanied by a side dish with peas or potatoes. In any case an idea for your family menu.
- - But you can also think of this dish made with baby musky octopus as appetizer. In this case serve them in individual little cups.
Useful link for this recipe
- - You could be interested in shrimp scampi spaghetti too. In fact I explain scampi or shrimp broth How-To.
- - Calories and other nutritional value of musky octopus stewed refer only to shellfish. I have not calculated polenta. This is a separate discussion.
- - No fiber in this dish.
What's the right wine for " Musky octopus stew "?
My husband and I are used to match Curtefranca (white wine from Lumbardy) to musky octopus stew.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1