Mozzarella and tomato salad Authentic Italian recipe
Caprese, that is mozzarella and tomato salad is one of the most famous Italian recipes in the world. We Italians prepare it with well ripe red tomatoes. Only in this way they match divinely with mozzarella. We use either cow or buffalo mozzarella for this summer dish! I know that outside Italy many people also use colored tomatoes that is heirloom tomatoes: yellow, green, pink, purple ... and you? This is a typical recipe of the Mediterranean diet but be careful about the right doses of the ingredients.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 200g (7 ounces) mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 400g (14 ounces) ripe but firm tomatoes, sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 10 minutes
cooking: not required
total: 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 336 (kcal) 17 % GDA (*)- 1406 (kJ)
Protein: 20.7 (g) 42 % GDA
Total fat: 24.9 (g) 36 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 7.7 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 7.7 (g) 9 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (137 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Caprese salad recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Arrange mozzarella and tomato slices, alternating them, on a dish.
- - Dress with salt and olive oil.
If you like, you can use freshly ground black pepper too.
Just before serving
- - Your dish is ready to be served!
- - You can enrich this recipe with a little fantasy.
Arrange mozzarella and tomato on fresh green salad, after dressing it.
Add green or black olives, fresh chives, oregano, some drops of balsamic vinegar and so on.
- - To limit the amount of olive oil, you should use a sprayer for seasoning tomato slices. Otherwise you could prepare a high-calorie dish ;))
- - If you use buffalo mozzarella, remember to slice it at least an hour before and place these slices to drain in a colander in your fridge.
- - This is one-plate meal suitable for your summer family menu. It serves two. To complete your meal, accompany it with a serving of bread and abundant seasonal fruit or another serving of vegetables.
- - Caprese salad can be served in a meal, buffet style.
- - Some Italian restaurants serve it as antipasto (starter) too
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in bocconcini and cherry tomato salad too?
- - Do not be fooled by the words with which all talk about Caprese salad. It may also be fresh and light but have you looked at its calories and total fat?
Be careful because you have to measure out the ingredients you use, especially if you do it frequently in summer!
- - Fiber per serving: 4.0 grams (suggested daily intake: 30 grams)
What's the right wine for " Mozzarella and tomato salad "?
You should pair a white wine to Caprese, such as Alcamo from Sicily or Pinot Grigio from Lison Pramaggiore area in Veneto. My husband and I like the firm Le Carline very much because all its wines are organic and most without sulfites.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1