Pizza alle verdure grigliate
Grilled vegetable pizza Authentic Italian recipe
You can make this kind of pizza with fresh or frozen vegetable but you'll have the best results with fresh vegetables in season. In summer you can find bell peppers, zucchini and eggplants easily and so this is the recipe for pizza topped with grilled vegetables in hot months. Mediterranean diet recipe.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 4 servings pizza dough
- For the topping
- 400g (14 ounces) puréed tomatoes (passata)
- 2 medium-size zucchini
- 2 little eggplants
- 2 red and yellow bell peppers
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 30 minutes
plus time for pizza dough
cooking: 50 minutes
total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 733 (kcal) 37 % GDA (*)- 3067 (kJ)
Protein: 31.6 (g) 64 % GDA
Total fat: 21.4 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 110.1 (g) 41 % GDA
Sugars: 15.3 (g) 17 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (116 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Grilled vegetable pizza recipe, Italian-style
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare pizza dough.
Take a look at our recipes with emmer or wholemeal flour too. Link below!
Remember you need to knead 500g (1.1 pounds) flour to serve 4.
- - Meanwhile ...
... Prepare all vegetables.
Clean, wash, pat dry and slice eggplants (do not remove their peel!). Sprinkle them with salt and let them remove their bitter liquid that may alter their flavor. Arrange them in a colander under a weight to make it easy.
Clean, wash, pat dry and slice zucchini.
Clean, wash, pat dry and cut your bell peppers into strips of medium width.
Grill all your vegetables.
Sprinkle with salt when still hot and put apart.
- - When pizza dough has risen, divide it into four pieces and, on a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece.
Each piece is enough for a 30cm (12in) round baking sheets if you like crunchy pizza.
If you prefer deep pizza use only two baking sheets and divide your dough into 2 pieces.
- - preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- - Oil all baking sheets with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
Transfer every portion of dough into a baking sheet.
- - Prepare tomato sauce.
Mix puréed tomatoes with remaining oil and chives; season to taste with salt.
- - For each pizza: spread some tablespoons tomato sauce on its top, leaving free the edge.
- - Bake your pizzas, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile grate or cube mozzarella.
Then remove your baking sheets from the oven and arrange mozzarella cheese over the top.
Bake again until mozzarella is well melted, less than 5 minutes.
Cooking times are indicative; everyone can adjust them to his oven.
Just before serving
- - Serve your grille vegetable pizzas still hot. Buon appetito!
- - Sometimes I use frozen vegetables (300g - 10 1/2 ounces).
In this case I have the habit to let them thaw at room temperature.
Then, I pat dry with paper towels.
I add them on the surface before baking my pizzas for the first time.
As you may have noticed the times are very different compared to fresh vegetables.
The important thing is to avoid putting on pizzas wet ingredients that can dampen their crusts and make them lose their crispness.
Useful links for this recipe
- - If you want to learn how to make pizza dough very well, consult our pizza index.
- - Remember that pizza is a single-dish meal. You could accompany it with a seasonal green salad with very little olive oil to lower the glycemic peak.
- - I have abandoned all refined flours to prepare pizza dough some years ago and prefer wholemeal or emmer flour. The taste is better, believe me! ;))
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1