Pizza quattro stagioni
4 seasons pizza Traditional recipe
Ingredients for 4 seasons pizza are avery different in every region in Italy. I'm going to describe you my own version. You have to know that the most important thing is that pizza has to be divided into four portions. Every quarter represents one season. So I use white mushrooms for autumn, ham for winter because in Italy we kill pork in this season, artichokes for spring and fish for summer. But it could work very well whatever your imagination suggests as long as there are four different segments. Some people use cottage cheese for winter (snow), asparagus for spring, only tomato for summer and mushrooms for fall. In short, a vegetarian version of four seasons pizza.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- Pizza dough for 4 people
- For the topping
- 400g (14 ounces) puréed tomatoes (passata)
- 30g (1ounce) white mushrooms in oil (champignons)
- 6 artichokes in oil
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) cotto ham, cubed
- 125g (4.4 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- 20 clams
- 12 mussels
- 30 frozen little shrimps
- 8 very little octopus
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 40 minutes
plus rising time for pizza dough
cooking: 20 minutes
total time: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 742 (kcal) 38 % GDA (*)- 3104 (kJ)
Protein: 34.0 (g) 68 % GDA
Total fat: 21.3 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 110.3 (g) 41 % GDA
Sugars: 12.8 (g) 15 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (168 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Four seasons pizza recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare pizza dough.
Choose the recipe you prefer but remember that my version with milk has less fat and calories. Link to my recipe below!
In any case you have to prepare pizza dough with 500g (1.1 pounds) all-purpose flour.
- - While your dough is rising, prepare ingredients for pizza toppings.
Boil baby octopus.
Open mussels and clams on high heat and remove all molluscs from their shell.
Prepare tomato sauce mixing puréed tomatoes with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and chives. Season to taste with salt.
- - When pizza dough has risen, divide it into four pieces (put apart a little portion, you’ll use it for dividing every pizza into four quarters).
Roll out each piece on a pastry board in a round shape.
- - Grease baking sheets with remaining olive oil.
Transfer every portion of dough to a baking sheet.
Spread tomato sauce on every pizza surface.
Divide every surface into four quarters using the dough you’ve put apart. Look at the photo for more details.
Let your four pizzas rise again, in a warm place, about 20 minutes.
- - Meanwhile ...
... prepare all other ingredients.
Cut artichokes into thin slices, halve mushrooms and grate mozzarella cheese.
Eventually, dry shrimps with absorbent paper if they are too wet.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
- - Assemble your pizzas.
Arrange mushrooms on the first portion, artichokes in the third and baby octopus in the fourth.
- - Bake, about 15 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Remove your pizzas from the oven and sprinkle mozzarella on the first and third quarter.
Bake until all cheese melts, 5 minutes.
- - At the last minute remove your pizza from the oven, add ham on the second portion, molluscs and shrimps on the fourth.
Bake again, 1 minute.
- - Serve pizzas hot.
- - Pizza dough made with 1.1 pounds of white flour is enough for four 30cm (12in) round baking sheets if you like crunchy thin pizza but if you prefer soft, thick pizza use only two baking sheets, slightly larger.
- - As I have just written, everyone is free to choose the content of pizza segments. However, be careful to cooking times of your ingredients which may often be very different.
- - The last suggestion concerns baby octopus that you can also cook using the water released from mussels and clams. Otherwise, do not waste this water. You could use it for a risotto.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in my pizza dough version with milk?
- - Calories, fats and sugars of four seasons pizza are calculated with my version of pizza dough made with milk. In fact it is has fewer calories and fats than dough with olive oil.
- - Pizza is one-plate meal. You can accompany it with seasonal green salad.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 5