Light béchamel Our original home cooking
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 300ml (10 fluid ounces - 1 1/3 cup) skimmed milk
- 30g (1 1/4 ounce) cornstarch
- 150ml (5 fluid ounces - 2/3 cup) low-fat yoghurt
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pepper (if you like)
preparation: 10 minutes
cooking: 20 minutes
total: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 126 (kcal) 7 % GDA (*)- 529 (kJ)
Protein: 9.3 (g) 19 % GDA
Total fat: 4.3 (g) 7 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 12.6 (g) 5 % GDA
Sugars: 6.3 (g) 7 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (118 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
This is a light version of the traditional recipe for béchamel in which butter is substituted with plain yoghurt.
Melt cornstarch in milk in a little saucepan (avoid to make lumps: you could use a whisk) and bring to the boil on a very low heat
stirring with a wooden spoon continuously until sauce thickens.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and, far from the heat, add yoghurt and Parmesan cheese.
The sauce is ready!
- - This sauce is perfect when you prepare baked vegetables.
- - If you want to prepare a lighter sauce you can use less Parmesan cheese.
- - But you can prepare a very low fat béchamel in another way. Melt cornstarch in milk, bring to the boil, switch off the gas. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add some aromatic herbs according to the dish that you're preparing: chives, nutmeg, marjoram, tarragon. In this case you can also use it for baked pasta.
- - Compare this low-fat recipe with the traditional béchamel sauce recipe
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1