Rice salad with fish Our original home cooking
Rice salad with fish (marinara rice) tastes fantastic and is ideal for fishlovers. The ingredients you'll need are octopus, shrimps, clams, little cuttlefish, anchovy fillets, capers, aromatic herbs, rice and olive oil. All year round recipe. This rice salad has less than 500 calories and then it's perfect for your daily menu or a meal buffet-style. Typical Mediterranean diet recipe. Pair a good-quality white wine such Vernaccia from Oristano (Sardinia).
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 500g (1.1 pound) octopus
- 400g (14 ounces) baby cuttlefish
- 200g (7 ounces) surimi crab sticks, sliced
- 200g (7 ounces) shrimps
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) unshelled clams
- 4 anchovy fillets, in oil
- 2 Tbsp capers, in vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dried chives
- 1Tbsp dried parsley
- 200g (7 ounces - 1 cup) white, long-grain, parboiled rice
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fish fumet
preparation: 20 minutes
plus time for cleaning and cooling seafood
cooking: about 60 minutes
total: 1 h 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 485 (kcal) 25 % GDA (*)- 2029 (kJ)
Protein: 38.7 (g) 78 % GDA
Total fat: 15.8 (g) 23 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 49.7 (g) 19 % GDA
Sugars: 3.0 (g) 4 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (126 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for rice salad with fish
Preparation and cooking
- - Cook octopus in abundant water with no salt for until tender, at least 45 minutes.
Remember to dip octopus in the boiling water.
Once cooked, let water cool down, remove octopus skin and cut your mollusk into little pieces.
- - Cook baby cuttlefish in the fish fumet until tender.
Add clams in the last minutes of cooking and shrimps just before turning off the stove.
Drain all these very well, let cuttlefish cool down and then cut them into little pieces.
- - While you're about to finish your seafood preparation, boil or steam rice al dente stage.
Drain it, cool under cold running water to stop its cooking and drain again very well.
- - Chop anchovies and put in a large bowl.
- - Add olive oil and capers too and stir vigorously.
- - Transfer octopus, baby cuttlefish, shrimps, clams and surimi in the bowl with the dressing.
- - Add rice and aromatic herbs too.
- - Stir your rice salad with delicacy.
- - Taste and eventually add a pinch of salt.
Just before serving
- - Your rice salad is ready.
- - Let sit before serving, at least 30 to 60 minutes.
- - If you prepare this rice salad ahead, chill and bring back to room temperature to serve.
- - Do not leave boiled rice in the colander too much. Once drained well, if you are not yet ready with the other ingredients, put it in the bowl with the dressing and stir.
- - Your rice salad will taste much more if you use fresh chives and parsley in season.
- - You can use fresh or frozen seafood. The best result with fresh seafood, obviously!
- - If you have to prepare a single serving of this rice salad you had better to choose baby octopus
- - This cold rice dish is a typical summer recipe. But it can be served warm or at room temperature in other seasons.
- - You can choose fish rice salad as one-plate meal in your daily menu or as a tasty course in a complete meal for a great occasion (alfresco dinner, BBQ, buffet for a ceremony ...). In these last cases the rice salad serves more people.
- - What about to prepare this seafood rice salad for a spring picnic? the link below
Useful links for this recipe
- - About picnic ... why don't you read more on our Easter menu? I included this seafood rice salad too!
- - I created this rice salad for all people who like seafood but this dish is so rich in ingredients that I had to reduce the rice amount to only 50g (1 3/4 ounce - less than 1/3 cup) per head.
Complete your meal with fresh seasonal fruit. However, this dish is so rich in protein that my tip is you should choose food low in protein for your dinner. The ideal would be a vegetarian dinner. For example a vegetable savory pie.
If you like the combination of its ingredients, here are the doses per head in order to maintain calories, fat ...: 50g (1 3/4 ounce - less than 1/3 cup) rice, 100g (3 1/2 ounces) cooked octopus, 50g (1 3/4 ounce) surimi crab sticks, 25g (about 1 ounce) unshelled clams, 50g (1 3/4 ounce) shrimps, 100g (3 1/2 ounces) baby cuttlefish, 1 anchovy fillet in oil, 1/2 Tbsp capers in vinegar, aromatic herbs, 2 tsp olive oil.
- - As you can see it's a tomato-free recipe, ideal for people intolerant or allergic to tomatoes.
- - Another note: this rice salad has no cheese, so it's ideal for people intolerant or allergic to dairy products.
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine remember you have to add 80 to 85 kcal per 100 ml.
- - If you like this recipe you could interested in other recipe ideas of mine or traditional Italian cooking. Look at green button above (navigation bar). It's our home page for Italian recipes.
What is the right wine for " Rice salad with fish "?
My tip is to pair a good white wine such as Vernaccia from Oristano (Sardinia wine - Italy) with rice salad with fish.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1