Insalata di riso gamberetti, piselli e peperoni
Rice salad with shrimps, peas and bell peppers Our original home cooking
This cold rice with shrimps, peas and peppers was born one day for a get-together. I wanted to prepare colorful and cheerful dishes for that occasion and I thought of contrasting colors for my ingredients. It may remember Cantonese rice but in reality it's all Italian. Now I often propose it in my summer dinners in unusual combinations too. Read below what I mean :))
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 700g (1 1/2 pound) long-grain, parboiled rice
- 400g (14 ounces) frozen shrimps, shelled
- 450g (1 pound) frozen peas
- 1 350g (12 1/3 ounces) can sweet & sour belll peppers
- 120ml (4 fluid ounces - 1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) spring onion
- Some sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- Little bunch fresh chives
- 1 dried bay leaf
preparation: 30 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 45 minutes
total: 1 hour 15 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 346 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1447 (kJ)
Protein: 12.1 (g) 25 % GDA
Total fat: 11.3 (g) 17 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 52.1 (g) 20 % GDA
Sugars: 2.8 (g) 4 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (73 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for rice salad with shrimps, peas and bell peppers
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare shrimps.
Thaw and, in case, cook shrimps. In fact you can find raw or pre-cooked frozen shrimps. Follow the directions on the package, carefully.
In any case pat dry your shrimps with absorbent kitchen paper before using them in this recipe.
- - Prepare aromatic herbs.
Clean and wash parsley and chives and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Prepare peas.
Chop onion finely and let it saute in 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil together with dried bay leaf, on very low heat, stirring often.
Add peas, still frozen. Stir and let all ingredients flavor for some minutes, stirring now and then.
Pour in some tablespoons boiling water. Adjust for the amount according to the cooking time shown on the package.
Season to taste with salt and continue cooking.
Let cooking juice reduce very well.
Cut in parsley some minutes before the end of cooking. Help yourself with kitchen scissors.
Turn off the stove and let peas cool.
- - Cook rice.
Cook rice in abundant salt water al dente stage.
Drain it and then run under cold water, stirring with delicacy to cool it down quickly.
Drain it again.
- - Meanwhile ...
prepare bell peppers.
Remove bell peppers from the jars and cut them into little pieces.
- - Assemble your rice salad.
Transfer rice, shrimps, peas (without bay leaf), bell peppers and remaining olive oil in a large bowl.
Season to taste with salt.
Cut in chives. Help yourself with kitchen scissors.
Stir with delicacy.
Just before serving
- - Chill your rice salad until serving but bring it to room temperature before.
- - This rice salad can be prepared in advance. The first time I made it I enjoyed it with some dear friends in the evening. They were testers in that occasion for me, but they do it willingly every time I call them ;)) The day after I served this dish in a formal dinner party and it was tastier than the day before.
- - Add some tablespoons of mayonnaise, if liked. But remember its calories and fat will increase, surely.
- - If you like sweet & sour bell peppers you can increase their amoount.
- - If you have little time add canned peas, well drained from their preserving liquid.
- - You can choose this rice salad for your family menu or get-togethers in summer. Read about family menu on "healthy eating". Instead, this is the space for your get-togethers, formal and informal invitations.
- - This rice salad can be combined with meat and fish dishes. Ideal for meals, buffet-style too.
This is my experience. I served it:
1) as first course according to the classical Italian menu
2) in assorted antipasto platter combined with smoked salmon, tuna or swordfish in slices
3) as side-dish to accompany sauteed tuna or coated swordfish. The links to these recipe are below.
It is said that it is always necessary to prepare elaborate meals when you have guests but is it always true? you can also surprise them with different combinations from the usual, provided they are good!
In fact it is not customary in Italy to serve rice salad as a side dish and I do not hide with you the surprise of my guests but, then, they liked this combination very much!
Useful links for this recipe
- - Calorie amount of this rice salad is less than 400 and so it seems ideal for daily menu but be careful: the portion is rather small because this cold rice was thought by me to be served in a buffet menu.
So it will be necessary to add something else. I'd suggest raw vegetables or seasonal green salad to be dressed very little. And fresh fruit, obviously!
- - Here are the doses per head to help you in shopping list! 60g (2.1 ounces) rice, 30 to 40g (1 to 1 1/2 ounce) frozen shrimps, 40g (1 1/2 ounces) frozen peas, 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, a little piece of onion, aromatics. It's difficult to write the right dose for sweet & sour bell peppers. Keep in mind that 1 350g (12 1/3 ounces) can serves 12.
- - Fiber per serving: 2.8 grams
What's the right wine for " Rice salad with shrimps, peas and bell peppers "?
My husband and I always pair Prosecco to this rice salad with shrimps, peas and bell peppers. It solves any type of problems.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1