Salsa al tartufo nero
Black truffle sauce Traditional recipe from Umbria
I learned how to make sauce with black truffles in Umbria, where I lived for 16 years. A truffle hunter had taught it to my mother. I should point out immediately that this recipe is very different from those ones you can taste in the restaurants. In many cases I was offered a sauce made with mushrooms and truffles and truffle may be replaced by truffle-flavored oil too. Where's black truffle? a ghost! It's true that black truffle is expensive and a trick of housewives and cooks is to hide the real amount of it but when we have the opportunity to make this sauce at home I believe we have to enjoy this fantastic ingredient completely. Do you agree?
- 25g (1 ounce) black truffle
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 15 minutes
plus drying time
cooking: not required
total: 15 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: n.c. (kcal) - n.c. (kJ)
Protein: n.c. (g)
Total fat: n.c. (g)
Total carbohydrate: n.c. (g)
Sugars: n.c. (g)
Download free PDF version (86 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Black truffle sauce recipe
Here you'll be able to find sauce how-to with fresh and canned black truffles.
- - Fresh black truffles.
Typically, when you buy black truffles, they are fairly clean and then it's enough to wipe gently them with a clean toothbrush and rub with a damp cloth. This is definitely the best method.
But in my experience I often happened to have in my hands truffles very dirty of ground and then there is no other solution than to clean them with a brush under running water.
In any case let them dry well.
The next step is grating them. I generally use the small grater for nutmeg. I point out that there is a specific truffle grater but it is not necessary to buy it :))
Black truffle is expensive and so it is well to recover what stops between the teeth of your grater as much as possible.
At this point add olive oil and salt and stir. I stated an amount of olive oil that can obviously be modified according to your own taste. Olive oil must be of good quality to enhance the flavor of the truffle.
Your sauce is ready!
- - Canned black truffles, in brine.
The procedure is the same except for the first step. In fact, in this case truffles extracted from the jar are obviously clean. I let them dry for a few hours, wrapped in paper towels before grating.
For the rest I proceed as described above.
- - Look at the video for more details.
- - You can prepare this sauce in advance and store it in the refrigerator but only for a few days.
- - My mom was used to add a pinch of salt too but I know that other housewives didn't have the same habit.
- - Toss pasta or steamed crustaceans or molluscs with black truffle sauce.
Put some teaspoons of this sauce on the top of your pizza.
Prepare Umbrian crostini, Spoleto-style.
You can flavor your meat stew. I like very much rabbit stew.
All useful links are below.
- - The amount of this sauce with black truffle can vary very much according to its use. The sauce made with 25g black truffle is enough to tossa pasta that serves 2 people or to make crostini for 6 people ... Read carefully every recipe for the right doses.
There are no values for calories, fat and sugar of this sauce because I could not specify the right doses. You'll be able to find nutrition facts on every recipe.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You could also be interested in the following recipes: Umbriian crostini and strangozzi with black truffle sauce.
- - More details on black truffle? follow the link!
- - It isn't always easy to find black truffles. My husband and I buy them via internet. We share with you the link to the firm that have good-quality products (Italia Tartufi).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1