Mini flan di cavolfiori
Cauliflower mini flans Our original home cooking
These cauliflowermini flans are delicious. They are made with cauliflower, capers, tomato paste, egg and plain breadcrumbs. The tomato paste gives everyone a bright color. Without tomato paste they would be blank. Vegetarian dish suitable for winter.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) steamed cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons capers in vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 h 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 166 (kcal) 9 % GDA (*)- 695 (kJ)
Protein: 13.2 (g) 27 % GDA
Total fat: 7.0 (g) 10 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 13.6 (g) 6 % GDA
Sugars: 8.8 (g) 10 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (127 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Cauliflower mini flan recipe
preparation and cooking
- - Mash the cauliflower with a fork.
- - Put the olive oil, capers and cauliflower in a non-stick frying pan.
- - Begin cooking on medium heat, stirring often.
- - Dilute the tomato paste in very little warm water (10 to 20 ml).
Add it to the pan.
Season to taste with salt and stir very well.
- - Continue cooking until the cauliflower does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- - Turn off the stove and let the puréed cauliflower cool.
- - Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Beat the egg with a pinch of salt.
- - Mix the mashed cauliflower with the egg and two tablespoons of breadcrumbs.
- - Spoon the caulflower mixture into 4 o 5 dome silicone baking molds.
- - Bake until your flans don't tend to break away from the molds (about 25 to 30 minutes).
just before serving
- - Let cool partially and then turn every flan on the serving plate.
- - Serve them warm.
- - Generally you can obtain 800g (1 3/4 pound) steamed cauliflower from a medium-size raw cauliflower.
- - If you are not vegetarian you can add 4 anchovy fillets in oil to the other ingredients for a tastier recipe.
- - I generally use dome silicone baking molds by Silikomart. My husband found you can buy these molds in the Amazon online store. Silikomart is an Italian factory that produces a lot of interesting and innovative kitchen tools. We use a lot of these products in our kitchen and so we are able to make a lot of nice-to-see recipes.
- - Remember: if you don't fill too much every mold you could obtain 5 flans.
- - These mini cauliflower flans are delicious side dish for your fish or meat recipes in family menus or special occasions.
- - I generally use them in winter assorted antipasto platter too. Lok at this example: my cauliflower flans accompany polenta slices with canned caponata on the top, red chicory with vegetarian Russian salad and mini frittatas with lentils. What about this starter, Italian-style? I's a vegetarian dish ideal for veg menus but also for meat-and-vegetable menu or fish-and-vegetable menu if you want to open your meal with an unusual starter.
- - Another idea to serve mini caulflower flans: combine them with other mini portions of food for one-plate meal.
- - They are perfect as side dishes for your Holiday menu too.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Want to know more details to make caponata at home with fresh vegetables?
- - Interested in recipe directions for mini frittatas with lentils?
- - Interested in reading Holiday menu ideas according to the Italian style?
- - Obviously, the nutrition facts per serving of cauliflower flan is very low because it is a vegetarian dish.
I always recommend dedicating a few days of the week to totally vegetarian menu.
It's incredibly helpful to balance your calories and fat and it reduces the consumption of meat that, according to many experts, is the basis of many metabolic diseases, cancer and disorders of the cardiovascular system.
If you choose these cauliflower flan as a main course double its doses.
- - Fiber per serving: 5.1g (daily intake: 23g)
What's the right wine for " Cauliflower mini flans "?
Choose the wine according to the other food that will accompany this dish.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1