Polpette piatte di fagioli
Bean burgers Our original home cooking
Bean burgers are a tasty alternative recipe to meatballs but they have no meat and so this is an healthy vegetarian recipe. You can make them all year round with frozen or canned beans but especially in late summer and early autumn when there are fresh beans.
Ingredients / Serves 3
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) boiled beans
- 1 egg
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) stale bread
- 90g (3 1/4 ounces) plain dried breadcrumbs
- 30g (1 1/4 ounce) fresh young onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry parsley
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 20 minutes plus cooling time
cooking: 20 minutes
total: 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 357 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1495 (kJ)
Protein: 12.8 (g) 26 % GDA
Total fat: 13.1 (g) 19 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 50.4 (g) 19 % GDA
Sugars: 4.0 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (111 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Soak the stale bread. Put the stale bread in a bowl and cover with cold water. When sodden squeeze well to remove the excess of water and put apart.
Reduce to puré the beans. Pass the beans through a vegetable mill or blend in a food processor. In the second case you could have to add the egg and a tablespoon olive oil.
Prepare the bean burgers. Put the puréed beans in a bowl together with the aromatic herbs, onion, soaked bread, 4 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs and the egg and the tablespoon olive oil if you haven't already used them. Season to taste with salt and mix well all the ingredients until a thick dough forms. Add other plain dried breadcrumbs if necessary.
Shape into burgers of the size you prefer. Dip them into the remaining plain dried breadcrumbs on both sides. Arrange on a dish and chill until cooking.
Cook the bean burgers. Put the remaining olive oil (2 tablespoons) in a non-stick frying pan and add the bean burgers, Sauté them on low heat on both sides. Then pour in the wine and keep on cooking turning now and then until the cooking juice is well retired. Add hot water if necessary.
- - You can also use canned beans. Generally 1 x 400 g (14 1/4oz) can beans (drained and rinsed) is enough but probably you have to modify the doses of the other ingredients to have the best result.
What's the right wine for " Bean burgers "?
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1