Purè di patate
Mashed potatoes Traditional recipe
Mashed or pureed potatoes (in Italian puré di patate) is a very tasty dish. Everybody likes it but be careful: its tastiness hides a lot of calories and fat.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 900 g (2 lb) potatoes
- 120 g (4 1/4 oz - 1/2 C) unsalted butter
- 250 ml (8 1/2 fl oz - 1 C) whole milk
preparation: 20 minutes
plus cooling time for potatoes
cooking: 50-60 minutes
total: 80 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 284 (kcal) 15 % GDA (*)- 1187 (kJ)
Protein: 4.2 (g) 9 % GDA
Total fat: 19.4 (g) 28 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 24.6 (g) 10 % GDA
Sugars: 2.7 (g) 3 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (152 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Mashed potato recipe
Prepare the potatoes. Steam the potatoes.
Let them cool and then peel and put through a vegetable mill.
The last step. Put your mashed potatoes together with butter and salt in a saucepan.
Cook over a gentle flame until butter is well melted.
At this point begin adding the milk gradually, stirring.
It's impossible to say what is the right amount of milk: it depends on many things.
But your potato puree must be soft and dry!
Tips and menu planning
- - Generally we prefer to steam the potatoes rather than boil them because in this way they have less water and the potato puree is drier.
- - You can also add a pinch of nutmeg, if liked.
- - Mashed potatoes is ideal as side dish of meat and fish cooked in different ways. He's good with stews or fish and meat grilled or roasted. It tastes fantastic if sprinkled with the meat gravy on the top. Have you ever tasted it with semi-seasoned or seasoned cheese?
- - In this page there is the traditional recipe of mashed potatoes. Many people like this dish but a great number can't eat it because very rich in calories and fat. You have to think it is only a side dish! On an average diet of 2,000 calories per day, it is recommended that you eat no more than 70 grams of fat per day (European guideline daily amounts). Thinking of all people who have problems with fat metabolism or simply want to use less butter to prevent future problems of cholesterol or overweight we realized a light version of mashed potatoes.
Control, please, the difference of fat and calories ...
- - I calculated nutrition facts with whole milk. If you use skim milk, total fat down to 18 g. It isn't a significant shift. You have to reduce the butter amount or substitute it with yogurt as we do in our light recipe if you want to eat a dish with less fat.
- - The fiber amount is 2.0 g
- - Remember when you eat the potatoes you should avoid any other carbohydrate source. Therefore no bread if you have your health and figure at heart!
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1