Purè di patate light
Low fat mashed potatoes Our original home cooking
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 900 g (2 lb) potatoes
- 1 4.4 oz (125 g) container plain, nonfat yogurt
- 250 ml (8 1/2 fl oz - 1 C) skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
preparation: 20 minutes
plus cooling time for potatoes
cooking: 50-60 minutes
total: 80 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 130 (kcal) 7 % GDA (*)- 545 (kJ)
Protein: 5.0 (g) 10 % GDA
Total fat: 1.3 (g) 2 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 25.8 (g) 10 % GDA
Sugars: 3.9 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (139 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Mashed potatoes: light recipe
In this recipe we use yogurt instead of butter. It tastes good! Why don't you test it?
Prepare the potatoes. Steam the potatoes.
Let them cool, then peel and put through a vegetable mill.
The last step. Put the pureed potatoes together with yogurt and milk in a saucepan.
Season to taste with salt and cook over a gentle heat for few minutes, stirring continuously, until your puree is soft and dry. Just before switching off the gas add the chives.
If necessary, add other milk.
Tips and menu planning
- - Use fresh chives in season to have more intense flavor.
- - Generally we prefer to steam the potatoes rather than boil them because in this way they have less water and the potato puree is drier.
- - You can also add a pinch of nutmeg, if liked.
- - You can serve the light version of mashed potatoes as side dish of fish, meat and cheeses.
- - You have to use butter sparingly. But what is the correct amount of butter per day? Let's begin from another question: what is the recommended daily fat intake? Nutritionists in Italy and Europe say the right amount of fat is an energy share close to 30% of your total daily energy. In practice dressing your food you have not to exceed 3 servings per day.
1 serving olive oil = 2 tsp
1 serving butter or margarine = 10 g (1/3 oz - 2 tsp)
Why so rigid rules? Because we eat fat in other foods too. Some visible as those of ham and meat, other invisible as those in milk and cheese.
Moreover I'd like to remind you that you should prefer olive oil to butter according to the Mediterranean diet. If you have your health and figure at heart remember my words!
That's why we created this mashed potato recipe with no butter.
Now go and check the amount of butter in the traditional recipe for mashed potatoes. You'll realize to eat a few spoonfuls of mashed potatoes you need two of the three servings per day. It's too much, isn't it? Have you never thought of? Please, now note the difference in calories and fat!
- - The fiber amount in the recipe for ligh potato puree is 2.0 g
- - Remember, when you eat the potatoes you should avoid any other carbohydrate source. In other words you shouldn't combine pasta or bread with them. And with Italia pasta & potatoes (pasta e patate)? It's enough to reduce their amount!
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1