Artichoke, asparagus, fava bean and pea soup Traditional Tuscan recipe
Artichoke, asparagus, fava bean and pea soup (in Italian garmugia soup) is a very ancient Tuscan recipe, rich in ingredients. For this reason it was a dish of wealthy families. The soup is prepared with typical vegetables of spring: fresh onions, artichokes, fava beans, asparagus, peas. Meat and bacon are added too. Once it was cooked on the embers of the fireplace for a long time, now of course on the stove. Wine is not recommended for the presence of the artichokes. Other Italian minestra or soups?
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 4 fresh artichokes - about 600g (1.3 pound)
- 180g (6 1/3 ounces) fresh fava beans, shelled
- 200g (7 ounces) fresh peas, shelled
- 400g (14 ounces) fresh asparagus
- 4 young fresh onions (160g - 5.6 ounces), chopped
- 200g (7 ounces) veal meat, minced
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) bacon, in a piece
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Vegetable broth
preparation: 45 minutes
cooking: 45 minutes
total: 1 h 30 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 437 (kCal) 22 % GDA (*) - 1830 (kJ)
Protein: 41.9 (g) 56 % GDA
Total fat: 21.0 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 21.5 (g) 8 % GDA
Sugars: 16.8 (g) 19 % GDA
Recipe for artichoke, asparagus, fava bean and pea soup
- - Prepare the artichokes.
Snap off the stalk close to the base, pulling out any fibres which would extend into the bottom.
Cut off the pointed top and, using kitchen scissors, trim the leaves to remove spines and any brown edges.
Cut every artichoke in thin slices lengthways and plunge them in lemon water.
Your artichokes are ready to be cooked.
You can find step-by-step simple instructions with a lot of images to clean the artichokes in the members-only area.
- - Prepare the asparagus.
The bottom stem of the asparagus spread is tough and you have to discard it and use only the upper part.
Then wash accurately this upper part beneath cold running water.
Finally slice it.
- - Chop the bacon finely.
- - Prepare the vegetable stock (about 1.2 - 1.4 liters/ 5-6 cups).
- - Saute the onion and bacon in the olive oil on very low heat.
- - Then add the veal meat and let all the ingredients flavor for some minutes, stirring.
- - At this point add all the vegetables, stirring frequently for a couple of minutes.
- - Then pour in 1.2 liter of vegetable broth.
- - Keep on cooking, half-covered, stirring now and then, until the vegetables are tender.
- - You need about 45 minutes to cook your soup
Add other broth if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Season to taste with salt only when the soup is cooked.
- - Your soup with spring vegetables is ready!
- - Serve with toasted bread, cubed.
Place a little bowl with grated Parmesan on the table.
Everyone will be able to serve oneself according to your own taste.
- - You need about 600 g (1.3 pound) of peas in the pod to have 200 g of peas shelled
- - You need about 600 g (1.3 pound) of fava beans in the pod to have the right amount for this recipe
- - Add all the vegetables and pulses only if you think they need the same time to cook. On the contrary add every ingredient according to its own cooking time.
- - Generally we serve this soup with bread made with emmer flour: it tastes fantastic!
- - Serve it as one-plate meal for your family and complete your meal with fresh seasonal fruit.
Serve the soup in individual bowls, preferably earthenware bowls.
- - If you want to make your friends know this delicious Italian soup yu can prepare this Italian menu: start your meal with assorted bruschetta (Italian antipasto), then serve this Tuscan soup and close the meal with a cake. Carlo and I like strawberries with orange juice very much. We remember you strawberries are in season in spring too.
- - Look at the nutrition facts. It's a low-calorie recipe but rich in protein.
Don't exceed the daily protein amount.
It's enough not to eat other meat, fish and cheese in the other meals.
- - This recipe is also rich in fibers (19 g per head). Remember the daily intake is 23 grams
What's the right wine for " Artichoke, asparagus, fava bean and pea soup " ?
Wine is not recommended for the presence of the artichokes.