Savory pie with zucchini, tuna and ricotta cheese (Tortino di zucchine, tonno e ricotta)
Our original home cooking
Savory pie filled with zucchini, tuna and ricotta cheese is a tasty recipe of mine. Pie shell is made with puff pastry. Serve it as one-plate meal, in your Sunday brunch or in a meal, buffet-style when you have guests. Recipe for summer and early fall when zucchini are in season.
time: 2 hours
calories: 256 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 8
- 8 zucchini (courgettes)
- 4 leeks
- 1 fresh young onion
- Some sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 230g (8 ounces) ready-to-cook puff pastry
- 1 160g (5.6 ounces) can tuna in oil
- 250g (8.8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 90 minutes
total: 2 hours
- How many calories in a serving?
13 % -
Protein: 12 (g) 24 % GDA
Total fat: 14.7 (g) 21 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 19.3 (g) 8 % GDA
Sugars: 9.5 (g) 11 % GDA
Download free PDF version (169 download).
Recipe for pie with zucchini, ricotta cheese and tuna in oil
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare pie filling.
Trim zucchini ends, wash, remove all their seeds and cut into small pieces.
Put them apart.
Clean and wash parsley.
Clean, wash and slice leeks and onion.
Chop them very well and put together with olive oil and marjoram in a saucapan.
Fry slightly on very low heat, stirring frequently.
Add zucchini and flavor, stirring now and then, a couple of minute.
Season to taste with salt and add a ladle of hot water.
Continue cooking, half-covered, adding other hot water only if necessary, until tender.
Your zucchini mixture must be very well reduced.
Let your vegetable mixture cool and then add ricotta cheese and tuna (well drained and crumbled with a fork).
Stir very well in order to obtain an homogeneous mixture.
Taste to control salt.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Line up an oiled shallow oven dish with puff pastry, overlapping the edges.
Prick the base with a fork.
Fill up with the mixture and refold the excess of puff pastry over the surface.
Bake, about 30 minutes or until puff pastry is golden.
Just before serving
- - You can serve it cool or warm.
- - For those who follow a healthy diet: cook filling without frying onion and leek slightly in olive oil. Put onion and leek in a saucepan, add a ladle of cold water and cook, about 5 minutes, on low heat. Add all other ingredients, olive oil and parsley excluded, and stir. Flavor a couple of minutes. Season to taste with salt. Add another ladle of cold water and cook on medium heat until tender. Turn off the stove, add olive oil and parsley. I often do it often and I assure you this pie is very good anyway.
- - You can serve this pie as one-plate meal accompanied by a seasonal salad in your family menu.
- - Prepare it for a meal, buffet style or for an afternoon party with your friends.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You could be interested in more details about zucchini. In this case follow the link
What's the right wine “Courgette, tuna and ricotta cheese pie”?
Pair Riviera Ligure di Ponente Vermentino (white wine from Italy) to zucchini-ricotta-and-tuna pie if you serve it in your family menu. In other cases you can think of the other courses too.