No-garlic Italian green sauce (Salsa verde senza aglio)
Our original home cooking
Green sauce without garlic. The recipe we show you is a variant of the classic Italian sauce made with parsley. We have eliminated the garlic, added the pine nuts and chives, softened the sauce with the addition of boiled eggs and potatoes. For those who dislike or can not digest garlic is a good substitute.
time: 55 minutes
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 200g (7 ounces) fresh parsley
- 10 anchovy fillets, in oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, in vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium-size potato
- Extra virgin olive oil
- preparation: 40 minutes
cooking: 15 minutes
total: 55 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Protein: 11.9 (g) 24 % GDA
Total fat: (g)
Total carbohydrate: 6.1 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 0.4 (g) 1 % GDA
Download free PDF version (143 download).
Boil the eggs for 10 minutes.
Plunging the eggs into very cold water as they are just cooked helps loosen the shell.
Boil the potato, peel and purée it.
Meanwhile clean the parsley bunch removing all the stalks.
Wash its leaves and drain very well.
Purée the parsley leaves in a food processor together with the anchovy fillets, capers and pine nuts.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, if necessary.
Transfer the sauce into a bowl.
Crush with a forkh the hard-boiled egg yolks.
Add the dried chives, puréed potato and egg yolks to the bowl.
Sometimes we add the whites too, after chopping.
Season to taste with salt and begin adding the olive oil.
It's impossible to say how much oil you have to use.
The sauce must be smooth.
Keep in the refrigerator until serving but bring it back to room temperature half an hour before.
- - You could add some of the soft part of the bread instead of potato and add gherkins in vinegar. In this case don't use pine nuts and potato.
- - No-garlic green sauce (known also as parsley sauce) is very tasty served with boiled meat or veal tongue, hard-boiled or poached eggs
- - It's impossible to calculate total calories and fat of no-garlic parsley sauce because we can't know the right quantity of the olive oil. It varies every time.
I can only tell you every tablespoon olive oil has 90 calories and 10g in fat.
The calories without olive oil are 145 kcal (606 kJ).
The fat without olive oil is 8.3g.