Savory pie with squash blossoms ( Torta salata con fiori di zucca )
Our original home cooking
This savory pie filled with potatoes and squash (or zucchini) blossoms is typical of summer. You can serve it in many occasions: cubed in a meal, buffet-style or as a starter according to Italian cooking to accompany assorted salami and cheeses. I prepare it as one-plate meal too. It's easy and quick to do if you buy ready-to-bake pizza dough but if you are cooking lover you can make pizza dough at home.
time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
calories: 674 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 400g (14 ounces) pizza dough
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Generous bunch of pumpkin flowers
- 125g (4.4 ounces) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 125ml (4 1/4 fluid ounces) dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
34 % -
Protein: 19.0 (g) 38 % GDA
Total fat: 26.3 (g) 38 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 93.2 (g) 35 % GDA
Sugars: 6.3 (g) 7 % GDA
cooking: 60 minutes
total: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Download free PDF version (177 download).
Recipe for savory pie filled with potatoes and squash blossoms
Preparation and cooking
- - Make pizza dough if you want to prepare it at home. Link to the recipe below.
- - Prepare savory pie filling.
Put onions and bay leaf in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil and let all fry slightly stirring now and then.
Add potatoes and stir for some minutes.
Pour in tomato paste, dissolved in half a glass of warm water.
Add wine too.
Season to taste with salt and cook over a gentle flame, half-covered, for about 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Stir from time to time and add some tablespoons warm water if necessary.
Just before turning off the stove add aromatic herbs too.
Let your mixture cool.
- - Meanwhile grease a baking pan with remaining olive oil and line its bottom and sides with pizza dough.
Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
Prick pizza dough with a fork and pour in potato-and-onion mixture.
- - Cooking.
Bake, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- - Meanwhile ...
prepare squash (or zucchini) blossoms.
Halve them and remove their pistils.
Wash them and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
Remove your baking pan from the oven and arrange mozzarella cheese on pie surface.
Bake again for 5 minutes.
Just before serving
- - At this point remove again your pan from the oven and arrange squash blossoms on the top.
Bake again for 1-2 minutes.
Serve after few minutes.
- - You can prepare this savory pie ahead and complete cooking, with mozzarella and squash blossoms, just before serving as I've described above.
- - If you have some pieces left, you can heat them up without any problem.
- - You can serve this pie, cubed, as a finger food paired to a good cocktail or a glass of wine before your guests seat at the table.
- - You can prepare an assorted antipasto platter, Italian-style with this savory pie cubed that accompanies salami and cheese.
- - You can plan a dinner for your family.
- - You can serve it, cubed, in a meal, buffet-style.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Follow the linkfor pizza dough recipe. Choose your favorite one among many versions.
- - Savory pie is a versatile dish that has many solutions, but it is also rich in calories a lot of times. You have to consider it combines pizza dough with potatoes and mozzarella in this case.
So I suggest you not to make it often, unless you don't serve it for your special occasions.
What's the right wine for " Savory pie with squash blossoms "?
My husband and I like Vermentino di Sardegna (a white wine from Sardinia) to pair to this savory pie filled with potatoes and squash blossoms.