Vegetable pie, Marches-style ( Tortino di verdure )
Authentic Italian recipe from Marches
Great savory pie with vegetables that can solve a family dinner. Simple-to-do recipe. You can make it with your garden products: tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, onions and aromatics. Summer vegetarian recipe.
time: 1 h 30 minutes
calories: 250 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 (200g - 7 ounces) red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 (200g - 7 ounces) yellow pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 (150g - 5 1/3 ounces) onion, finely sliced
- 400g (14 ounces) potatoes, finely sliced crossways
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) ripe but firm tomatoes, sliced crossways
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
13 % -
Protein: 5.9 (g) 12 % GDA
Total fat: 15.8 (g) 23 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 22.3 (g) 9 % GDA
Sugars: 7.7 (g) 9 % GDA
cooking: about 60 minutes
total: 1 h 30 minutes
Download free PDF version (142 download).
Vegetable pie recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare all ingredients.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Grease a shallow, not too large, ovenproof dish with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
Alternate potatoes, tomatoes, onion and bell peppers.
Sprinkle every layer with a pinch of oregano, salt and pepper.
Brush olive oil.
Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
Bake until golden, about an hour.
Just before serving
- - Let your vegetable pie rest for some minutes before serving
- - I sometimes add grated mozzarella cheese instead of Parmesan as you can see in the photo.
- - This is a pie that you can not turn upside down on a serving platter. Make your portions from the baking dish directly.
- - My experience suggests not to prepare it ahead.
- - Choose this dish for your family menu.
Vegetarians can double the doses or add other vegetarian dishes with pulses too.
On the contrary fish and meat lovers can complete their meal with a portion of salami or ham, meat or fish cooked with a little olive oil.
- - The ingredient that has more consequences on calories and fat of this vegetable pie is undoubtedly olive oil. So if you can decrease its amount, you should have a real advantage. I succeed only by spraying olive oil with the appropriate sprayer, not distributing olive oil spoonfuls.
What's the right wine for " Vegetable pie, Marches-style "?
Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi (a white wine from Marches) is the best pairing for this vegetarian dish. But you have to choose the wine according to the other dishes of your meal too.