Green tomato quiche ( Torta salata con pomodori verdi )
Our original home cooking
You can make fabulous dishes with green tomatoes. Do you know it? test our savory tart filled with zucchini-and-tomato mixture. You'll astonish your guests!
time: 2 hours
calories: 343 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 2 servings pizza dough
- 500g (1.1 pound) green tomatoes
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) ripe tomatoes
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) zucchini
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) leek
- 1 little hot chilli pepper
- 1 tablespoon capers in vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 500ml (1 pint - 2 cups) cold water
- Bunch fresh chives, chopped
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
18 % -
Protein: 10.5 (g) 21 % GDA
Total fat: 8.4 (g) 13 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 60.2 (g) 23 % GDA
Sugars: 10.0 (g) 12 % GDA
cooking: 1 h 30 minutes
total: 2 hours
Download free PDF version (145 download).
Green tomato quiche recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Wash tomatoes and divide into quarters.
- - Cut off zucchini ends. Wash them and cut into coarse pieces.
- - Clean leek. Wash and cut into large slices.
- - Clean hot chilli pepper and remove its seeds if you want.
- - Put all your vegetables in a large pan.
- - Add capers and sugar.
- - Season to taste with salt and stir very well.
- - Cover with cold water.
- - Bring to a boil, lower heat and continue cooking, stirring now and then, until all vegetables are tender, about an hour.
- - Turn off the stove, let your mixture cool and then put it through a food mill.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Grease a baking pan with olive oil and sprinkle with flour.
- - Line your baking pan with pizza dough.
- - Prick its bottom with a fork.
- - Spoon tomato mixture and level surface.
- - Sprinkle chives on the top.
- - Bake until dough is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Let your savory tart rest for few minutes and serve, sliced.
Tips and menu planning
- - This savory tart can be made in early autumn when you can find green tomatoes easily.
- - You can modify some doses according to your own taste: increase capers or hot chilli pepper ...
Besides you can use pizza dough with whole wheat flour as you can see in the photo.
- - You can use homemade pizza dough or ready-to-bake pizza dough or, if preferred, salt shortcrust pastry. Links to recipes below.
- - This quiche is a vegan recipe.
But you can combine it with smoked salmon or tuna or salami if you don't follow a vegan diet.
It may be a perfect starter if you have guests (in this case it serves more people) or one-plate meal in your family menu.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here's the link to pizza directory where you can find a lot of recipes to do homemade pizza dough with different flours and yeasts.
- - On the contrary, if you prefer salt shortcrust pastry, follow this link.
- - If you compare this savory tart filled with green tomatoes to other similar recipes, you can notice it is not a high.calorie dish but be careful to servings :))
What's the right wine for " Green tomato quiche "?
My suggestion is to match this vegetable quiche with a new wine (vino novello) if you make it in november. Alternatively choose a red wine that mustn't be tannic or aged.