Green tomato quiche
Torta salata con pomodori verdi
Our original home cooking
You can make fabulous dishes with green tomatoes. Do you know it? test our savory tart filled with zucchini-and-tomato mixture. You'll astonish your guests!
time: 2 hours
calories: 343 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 2 servings pizza dough
- 500g (1.1 pound) green tomatoes
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) ripe tomatoes
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) zucchini
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) leek
- 1 little hot chilli pepper
- 1 tablespoon capers in vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 500ml (1 pint - 2 cups) cold water
- Bunch fresh chives, chopped
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
18 % -
Protein: 10.5 (g) 21 % GDA
Total fat: 8.4 (g) 13 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 60.2 (g) 23 % GDA
Sugars: 10.0 (g) 12 % GDA
cooking: 1 h 30 minutes
total: 2 hours
Download free PDF version (171 download).
Green tomato quiche recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Wash tomatoes and divide into quarters.
- - Cut off zucchini ends. Wash them and cut into coarse pieces.
- - Clean leek. Wash and cut into large slices.
- - Clean hot chilli pepper and remove its seeds if you want.
- - Put all your vegetables in a large pan.
- - Add capers and sugar.
- - Season to taste with salt and stir very well.
- - Cover with cold water.
- - Bring to a boil, lower heat and continue cooking, stirring now and then, until all vegetables are tender, about an hour.
- - Turn off the stove, let your mixture cool and then put it through a food mill.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Grease a baking pan with olive oil and sprinkle with flour.
- - Line your baking pan with pizza dough.
- - Prick its bottom with a fork.
- - Spoon tomato mixture and level surface.
- - Sprinkle chives on the top.
- - Bake until dough is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Let your savory tart rest for few minutes and serve, sliced.
Tips and menu planning
- - This savory tart can be made in early autumn when you can find green tomatoes easily.
- - You can modify some doses according to your own taste: increase capers or hot chilli pepper ...
Besides you can use pizza dough with whole wheat flour as you can see in the photo.
- - You can use homemade pizza dough or ready-to-bake pizza dough or, if preferred, salt shortcrust pastry. Links to recipes below.
- - This quiche is a vegan recipe.
But you can combine it with smoked salmon or tuna or salami if you don't follow a vegan diet.
It may be a perfect starter if you have guests (in this case it serves more people) or one-plate meal in your family menu.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here's the link to pizza directory where you can find a lot of recipes to do homemade pizza dough with different flours and yeasts.
- - On the contrary, if you prefer salt shortcrust pastry, follow this link.
- - If you compare this savory tart filled with green tomatoes to other similar recipes, you can notice it is not a high.calorie dish but be careful to servings :))
What's the right wine for " Green tomato quiche "?
My suggestion is to match this vegetable quiche with a new wine (vino novello) if you make it in november. Alternatively choose a red wine that mustn't be tannic or aged.