Hare with polenta
Lepre con la polenta
Our original home cooking
Hare-and-polenta recipe. A tasty one-plate meal, Italian-style for your family and friends in a special occasion. Hare is marinated overnight and then stewed with a lot of vegetables. Polenta is accompanied with hare gravy. Yum, yum ...! Look at the photo for more details.
time: 1 h and 20 minutes
calories: 513 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 hare, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Cinnamon in a piece
- 3 cloves
- 400g (14 ounces) can chopped tomatoes
- 200g (7 ounces) bacon, cubed
- 2 liters (4 1/4 pints) red wine
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Precooked cornmeal for polenta
- medium difficulty recipe
- Time: preparation: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
26 % -
Protein: 48.6 (g) 98 % GDA
Total fat: 30.7 (g) 44 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 11.3 (g) 5 % GDA
Sugars: 11.3 (g) 13 % GDA
plus marinating time
cooking: at least 1 hour
total: 1 h and 20 minutes
Download free PDF version (190 download).
Recipe for hare stew
Preparation and cooking
- - The day before.
Let your hare marinate overnight in 1 liter (2.1 pints) red wine in which you have to add half onion, cinnamon and cloves.
All hare pieces must be well covered with the wine.
- - The day after
Drain all hare pieces and pat them dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Put olive oil, bacon and hare pieces in a pan.
Fry slightly meat pieces on both sides, some minutes.
Then pour in remaining wine, all chopped vegetables, all aromatic herbs and chopped tomatoes.
Season to taste with salt and bring to a boil.
At this point reduce heat and continue cooking, half-covered, turning hare pieces now and then, until tender and most cooking juice is reduced.
Add some hot vegetable stock or simplier water only if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Prepare polenta and serve it hot, topped with hare and its gravy.
- - You can prepare hare in advance and polenta just before serving. In this case reheat meat at the last moment.
- - It’s one of the best Italian single-course meal with game. It’s the ideal choice for a winter or fall menu with your friends and relatives or Christmas dinner party especially if planned to exchange greetings.
- - The nutrition facts of this hare dish you have read above do not include polenta.
- - This hare recipe is rich in calories, proteins and fats. Besides it is expensive. So I suggest it for your special occasion menus.
- - Fiber per serving: 4.7 grams (daily intake should be 30.0 grams).
What's the right wine for " Hare with polenta "?
Pair Barbaresco (red wine from Piedmont) or Torgiano (red wine from Umbria) to hare with polenta.