Marinated boiled beef (carpione beef)
Manzo in carpione
Authentic Italian recipe
Carpione beef or marinated boiled beef is a cold dish particularly suited in summer but you can prepare it for a buffet menu too all year. In Italy we are also used to serve this marinated boiled beef as starter accompanied by other cold and hot dishes.
time: 25 minutes
calories: 378 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) cold boiled beef
- 2 glasses vinegar
- 1 glass white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried bay leaves
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
19 % -
Protein: 51.6 (g) 104 % GDA
Total fat: 18.7 (g) 27 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 0.8 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 0.8 (g) 1 % GDA
plus marinating time
cooking: 15 minutes
total: 25 minutes
Download free PDF version (238 download).
Marinated and boiled beef recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare the marinade.
- - Let the onion fry lightly in the olive oil in a pan over a low heat (don't let it brown).
- - Then add the aromatic herbs and pour in the vinegar.
- - Let the vinegar boil very slowly until it is half-reduced.
- - At this point add the wine and half a glass of water.
- - Boil for few minutes.
- - Meanwhile take away your meat from the fridge, cut it into thin slices and arrange them on the bottom of a large bowl.
- - When the marinade is ready, pour it into the bowl in order to cover the meat slices.
- - Let all cool and then chill until serving.
Just before serving
- - Remember to bring to room temperature before serving.
- - Marinated and boiled beef is a do-ahead dish.
- - Marinated and boiled beef is a good idea for using boiled meat left.
- - You can serve marinated and boiled beef as second course in summer dinner party accompanied with boiled potatoes or string beans or a salad.
You can also choose marinated and boiled beef in your buffet menu or as appetizer (this is a traditional Italian appetizer!).
- - Daily menu. Be careful, marinated and boiled beef is rich in protein because cooked beef already rich in protein is used. For this reason you have to prepare a pasta dish with vegetables for lunch. In fact I remember you carbohydrates (pasta and rice) must be eaten at lunch and protein (meat, fish, eggs, cheese) at dinner.
- - Menu for special occasions. It's a special occasion, isn't it? don't worry for calories, fat, sugar ... Provided that the rare event does not become common;))
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine remember you have to add 80-85 kcal per 100 ml.
- - We remember you our original home recipes can be made without salt; there is a combination of flavors that substitutes salt.
What's the right wine for " Marinated boiled beef (carpione beef) "?
My husband and I are usual to pair Colli di Luini Rosso (red wine from Liguria - Italy) to this beef dish but someone suggests not to drink wine for the presence of vinegar among the ingredients.