Steak tartare ( Tartara di manzo )
Authentic Italian recipes
Beef tartare or simplier tartare, also known as steak tartare, is a recipe native to northern France and central Europe but now spread around the world. In practice this is a dish of beef that is consumed raw, without cooking. The recipe is simple except for the preparation of meat that must be cut with the tip of a knife, not ground or pureed. Meat is then seasoned as I explain below.
time: 40 minute
calories: 261 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 600g (1.3 pound) prime beef tenderloin, all fat removed
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 new-laid egg yolks
- Freshly ground black pepper, if you like
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
14 % -
Protein: 27.5 (g) 55 % GDA
Total fat: 16.6 (g) 24 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 0.2 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 0.2 (g) 1 % GDA
plus resting time
cooking: no cooking
total: 40 minute
Download free PDF version (167 download).
Steak tartare recipe
- - Prepare meat.
First slice meat with a very sharp knife into paper-thin pieces.
Gather pieces together and slice crosswise into smaller pieces.
Then chop them finely but be careful the meat is not reduced to a pulp.
Transfer to the bowl.
- - Dress your meat.
At this point dress your meat with lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, Worchestershire sauce, salt and pepper (if you like).
Stir with delicacy.
- - Chill until serving but don't wait more than 30 minutes because meat could seem "cooked".
Just before serving
- - Divide your meat among six dishes, shaping each portion into a mound.
Make a shallow well in the center of each mound and pour in a raw egg yolk.
Sprinkle every egg yolk with a pinch of salt and serve immediately.
- - Use only beef and not veal or chicken or turkey.
Veal meat hasn't the same taste of beef meat.
Chcken and turkey aren't good when raw.
Another best choice could be horse meat, if you like it.
- - You can dress your meat with dried or fresh chives too as I'm used to do.
- - Do not throw away the whites of eggs. You can always use them to do omelets in the oven. Or meringues.
- - Accompany this dish with raw vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, carrots ...) or a green salad. It's a typical one-plate meal.
- - It's considered a typical summer dish because it's cold and you mustn't cook it. But you can accompany it with orange slices and olives so you can eat tartare in winter too!
- - I wouldn't recommend steak tartare if you have guests, especially if you choose horsemeat. Not everyone loves raw meat.
- - Calories of steak tartare are not excessive because the portion of meat is right but this beef dish is a real concentration of proteins. So pay attention. It would be wise to prepare for lunch pasta or rice with vegetables to control proteins
- - I invite you not to eat too much meat for our health and environment.
- - Another problem with steak tartare is consumption of raw meat. People in good faith believes that is enough marinating it slightly with lemon juice to eliminate any inconvenience. But lemon juice is totally ineffective for bacteria and parasites. So double check the meat chain!
What's the right wine for " Steak tartare "?
My husband and i suggest you to serve a good white wine from Italy such as Traminer or Lison Pramaggiore (ex Tocai from Veneto) if you accompany it with oranges or a red wine such as Grignolino from Piedmont (Italy).