Cointreau-flavoured chestnuts ( Castagne al Cointreau )
time: preparation: 2 hours
cooking: 50 minutes
- 1,6 kg (3 1/2 lb) chestnuts
- 700 g (1 2/3 lb) sugar
- 150 ml (5 fl oz - 3/4 C) Cointreau liqueur
- 2 little pieces cinnamon steaks
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 2 hours
- How many calories in a serving?
Protein: XX (g)
Total fat: XX (g)
Total carbohydrate: XX (g)
Sugars: XX (g)
cooking: 50 minutes
Download free PDF version (145 download).
Sterilize jam jars or preserving pots: let them boil for 10 minutes and then let them dry accurately. Using a very sharp knife cut a 2.5cm/1 inch cross into one side of each nut. Bring abundant water to the boil and blanch the chestnuts for 3-4 minutes, ten at a time. Remove them from the boiling water with a skimming ladle and peel immediately. You can make it easily only if the chestnuts are hot; so we suggest you to use kitchen gloves. Remove the outer shell, then the inner shell (the pithy bit inside) which is usually harder to peel. If a chestnut is difficult to peel, drop it back into the pot with hot water to loosen the shells.
Pour the sugar in a pan and add 800 ml of water (28 fl oz- 3 2/3 C), cinnamon and vanilla. Bring to the boil on low heat. Stir frequently to avoid the sugar sticks on the bottom of the pan. Boil for 3 minutes. Switch off the gas and add Cointreau. Stir. Your syrup is ready! Let the syrup cool.
Arrange the chestnuts in the jars and cover with the syrup up to 3 cm (1 1/5in) from the edge of the jar.
Put the save-flavour for preserves. They are designed to keep the homemade preserves in the right position. Close the jars and arrange them in a deep pan. Fill the pan with water up to 4-5 cm over the jars.
Bring to the boil and let the water boil for 30 minutes. Be careful the water always covers the jars. Add boiling water if necessary.
But the best solution is to use the sterilizer.
- - You can prepare 6 250 ml (8 fl oz) jars with these ingredients.
- - You will have some syrup left. Use it for fresh and dry fruit in aspic or for seasoning a fruit salad or for preparing a cake instead of milk. But remember it's already sweet.
- - Serve these chestnuts in syrup after dinner with ice-cream or whipped cream. But you can also use them to fill Christmas turkey.
- - Preserve these jars for 4-5 months.