Ravioli stuffed with lamb and artichokes ( Ripieno per ravioli con agnello e carciofi )
Our original home cooking
I like the combination lamb and artichokes, due to my stay in Umbria for lot of years. This is the reason why I created this stuffing for ravioli. It tastes fantastic! Try and see you too! It is long and not easy to do but it is worth a try ;))
Ingredients / Serves 8
- For ravioli stuffing
- 500g (1.1 pounds) lamb loin steaks
- 900g (2 pounds) fresh artichokes
- 200g (7 ounces) leek
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) young onions
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 dried sage leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 300ml (0.6 pints) rosé wine
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- For the egg dough
- 400g (14 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- difficult recipe
- Time: preparation: 60 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Protein: 23.4 (g)
Total fat: 7.1 (g)
Total carbohydrate: 41.6 (g)
Sugars: 3.6 (g)
plus cooling and rest time
cooking: 60 minutes
total: 2 hours
Download free PDF version ( download).
Recipe for ravioli stuffed with lamb and artichokes
Preparation and cooking
- - Clean artichokes and cut everyone into 8 slices. Remember to transfer them immediately into water acidulated with lemon juice.
- - Bone lamb meat, if necessary and cut it into little pieces.
- - In a non-stick frying pan, place olive oil, chopped leek and onions, bay and sage leaves and marjoram.
Add lamb meat too and let all fry slightly on medium heat, few minutes, stirring often.
Pour in wine, bring to a boil and then add two ladles of hot water.
Reduce heat, continue cooking, half-covered, stirring now and then, about 30 minutes.
Then add well drained artichokes and other hot water, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and continue cooking until artichokes are tender.
Cooking juice must be reduced very well.
Just before turning off the stove, add parsley and chives.
- - Meanwhile ...
... prepare egg pasta with 400g (14 ounces) all-purpose flour.
If you want, you can take a look at my directions. Link, below.
Remember egg pasta must rest half an hour before other steps.
- - Let your lamb and artichoke sauce cool and then reduce it to puree.
Your stuffing must be firm.
It is ready to use.
- - Prepare ravioli with the shape you prefer. Generally, I work with a 36 holes aluminum square ravioli mold. I get 160 ravioli with these stuffing doses. Other details in the page I suggest below.
Arrange ravioli on trays sprinkled with semolina and let them dry on both sides. Remember to turn them over often.
It would be better to prepare ravioli the day before.
- - Cook ravioli in abundant boiling salt water. Generally, I need 10 minutes but cooking time depends on ravioli pasta thickness and their size.
Taste them, while boiling. It's better ;)).
Drain ravioli very well and toss them with sauce.
Some tips, below.
Just before serving
- - Serve ravioli still hot accompanied by grated Parmigiano in a little bowl. Who wants, will be able to top hiw own dish.
- - These ravioli stuffed with artichokes and lamb are excellent topped with gravy or simply with olive oil having regard to the richness of their filling and its flavor.
I also really like grating a fresh black truffle before serving as you can see in the photo and sprinkle with other herbs.
- - You could prepare these ravioli for your Sunday family lunch or dinner party menus. In this second case you can serve more people, if you plan more courses to serve.
- - They taste fantastic when artichokes are in season but I remember you that there are good-quality frozen artichokes too.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in how to make ravioli with ravioli mold? follow the link! there is another idea to stuff ravioli with ricotta and broccoli too.
- - Here's my page for making egg pasta.
- - Curious about tips and other news on artichokes? how to clean artichokes?
- - The nutritional value of ravioli stuffed with lamb and artichokes is calculated only for them raw. It does not take into account the way of seasoning this dish. Then ... be careful! Their filling is already rich in ingredients. This is one of the reasons why I top them only with olive oil and sometimes a sprinkling of black truffle. The other important reason is that for me the flavor of their filling must win on the seasoning.
- - Fiber per serving: 8.0 grams (daily intake is 30 grams).
What's the right wine ?
My husband likes a wine from Abruzzi: Montepulciano Cerasuolo. We always match it to my ravioli stuffed with lamb and artichokes.