Onion and tomato pizza ( Pizza con le cipolle )
Our original home cooking
Pizza topped with onion sauce is a slightly different version if compared to traditional onion pizza whose topping is often made only with onions and without tomato sauce. It's a vegan recipe for all year round. Excellent with spring onions. Perfect for the Mediterranean diet!
time: 50 minutes
calories: 730 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 4 servings pizza dough
- For pizza topping
- 400g (14 ounces) puréed tomatoes (passata)
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) fresh onions, sliced
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- White wine
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
37 % -
Protein: 30.6 (g) 62 % GDA
Total fat: 20.9 (g) 30 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 111.5 (g) 42 % GDA
Sugars: 16.9 (g) 19 % GDA
plus leavening time
cooking: 40 minutes
total time: 50 minutes
Download free PDF version (135 download).
Onion and tomato pizza recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare pizza dough.
Do you have your favorite recipe? follow it! on the contrary you can have a look at my recipes with different flours and yeasts and choose the best for your needs.
Put aside your pizza dough to leaven.
- - Meanwhile ...
... prepare onion and tomato sauce for pizza topping.
Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil into a pan and add onion.
Let onion fry slightly on very low heat, stirring frequently.
Then add a dash of white wine and let it evaporate, stirring now and then.
Add pureed tomatoes and aromatic herbs, season to taste with salt and continue cooking very few minutes.
Put aside your sauce.
- - When pizza dough has at least doubled, divide it into four pieces.
Roll out each piece to a rectangular or round shape and then transfer them into your baking sheets.
Generally, I make this step directly in my pans using my fingers.
In any case you have to grease your baking sheets with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with flour.
This amount of dough is enough for 4 30cm (12in) round baking sheets if you like crunchy pizza.
If you prefer soft pizza use only two baking sheets.
At this point distribute onion and tomato sauce on the top.
Allow to rise in a warm place, 20 minutes.
- - Meanwhile ...
...preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
Grate mozzarella cheese using a large hole grater.
- - Bake pizzas, about 15 minutes.
Then remove them from the oven and arrange mozzarella cheese on their top.
Bake again until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
Cooking times are indicative, everyone can adjust them to his oven.
Just before serving
- - Serve your pizzas hot.
- - If you have no fresh onions, it would be a good idea to put peeled onions in a bowl full of water or milk for some hours. In this way, you can remove their strong flavor.
- - The amount and quality of onions is another subjective factor. It depends on how much you like them and how you can digest! I love onions from Tropea for this pizza that is red spring onions.
- - Prepare this onion and tomato pizza for your family menu.
- - Make this pizza and serve it, cubed or sliced, in your happy hour to accompany a cocktail or a glass of wine.
Useful links for this recipe
- - I suggest to look at our pizza directory index for pizza dough recipe.
- - Pizza with onion and tomato is not exactly low in calories as most pizzas.
For this reason, I insist on the fact that it must be considered single-course meal. Prepare pizza dough with milk, certainly you'll save calories.
- - Remember the advice of nutritionists is to use whole grain flours. Besides your pizza will be really tastier. If you manage to get sourdough to keep at home, you'll get a much more digestible dish.