Pizza topped with ripe tomatoes ( Pizza al pomodoro fresco )
Our original home cooking
Pizza made in summer with fresh ripe tomatoes is irresistible but I do not recommend it in other seasons because you have to use fragrant tomatoes at the right level of maturity. Otherwise it is better to use canned peeled tomatoes ;) Recipe for the Mediterranean diet.
time: 35 minutes
calories: 731 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 4 servings pizza dough
- For the topping
- 400g (14 ounce) puréed tomatoes (passata)
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- 5 ripe red tomatoes (500g - 1.1 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
37 % -
Protein: 31.1 (g) 63 % GDA
Total fat: 21.1 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 110.9 (g) 42 % GDA
Sugars: 16.3 (g) 19 % GDA
plus kneading and rising time for pizza dough
cooking: 20 to 25 minutes
total time: 35 minutes
Download free PDF version (148 download).
Fresh tomato pizza recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare pizza dough.
This is the first step unless you do not want to use ready-to-bake or frozen pizza dough.
You could take a look at my recipes if you want to make handmade pizza.
In every case you have to knead 500g (1.1 pounds) flour.
- - When the dough has risen, divide it into four pieces and roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface.
You can have the shape you want: rectangular or round.
This amount of dough is enough for four 30cm (12in) round baking sheets if you like crunchy and thin pizza.
If you prefer a thicker pizza, divide your pizza dough into 2 pieces and use only two baking sheets.
Oil all baking sheets with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with flour before lining them with your dough.
- - Prepare tomato sauce.
Mix puréed tomatoes with remaining oil and chives.
Add a pinch of salt and stir very well.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Prepare fresh tomatoes.
Wash and slice every tomato.
Try to remove well all seeds.
If tomato slices are too wet, pat dry them with absorbent kitchen paper.
Put them apart.
- - Now spread half of your tomato sauce to within 1/2 inch (1.2cm) of the rim on every pizza.
Arrange tomato slices on the top too.
- - Bake your pizzas in the oven, about 15 minutes.
- - Meanwhile ...
... cube or grate (it is much better) mozzarella.
- - Remove baking sheets from the oven and arrange mozzarella cheese over the top.
Just before serving
- - Bake again until mozzarella is melted, about 5 minutes.
But remember you must adjust cooking time according to your own oven.
Serve pizzas hot.
- - Use ripe cherry tomatoes. They are fantastic!
Useful links for this recipe
- - Take a look at our pizza directory to discover all the secrets for a perfect pizza, Italian style!
- - Pizza is one-plate meal, for sure and so this pizza topped with fresh tomatoes is not too rich in calories.
- - Vegetarian pizza recipe.
- - Do you know how you can decrease the glycemic peak eating pizza, apart from the use of more appropriate flour? accompany it with seasonal green salad or raw vegetables.