Spinach risotto ( Risotto agli spinaci )
Our original home cooking
Spinach risotto is a very simple recipe, perfect for your daily menu and cheap too. You can make it all year round because you can use fresh or frozen spinach. It is vegan recipe according to my directions. Cheese lovers can stir in Parmesan or a soft cheese to increase its flavor and make it more creamy. Obviously the addition of cheese changes nutrition facts as I'm going to explain later.
time: 1 h 10 minutes
calories: 370 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 320g (11 1/3 ounces) long-grain, parboiled rice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 80g (2.8 ounces) young fresh onions
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1/2 onion, cleaned
- 1 celery stick, cleaned and washed
- 100ml (3 1/3 fluid ounces) dry white wine
- 450g (1 pound) frozen spinach
- Grated Parmesan cheese, if you like
- Time: preparation: 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
19 % -
Protein: 9.3 (g) 19 % GDA
Total fat: 7.8 (g) 12 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 70.0 (g) 26 % GDA
Sugars: 1.8 (g) 2 % GDA
cooking: 60 minutes
total: 1 h 10 minutes
Download free PDF version (154 download).
Spinach risotto recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare spinach.
Steam frozen spinach for 10 minutes.
In this way you avoid the excesses of water and losing most of nutrition properties of spinach.
Let cool and then purée in a blender or food processor.
Put steaming water apart.
- - Prepare vegetable broth.
Dilute steaming water to 1.2 liter.
Add carrot, celery, onion and marjoram.
Bring to a boil.
Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Strain your broth.
Season to taste with salt.
Keep it boiling while you're cooking your risotto.
- - Cook risotto.
Clean and chop fresh young onions.
Add olive oil and onions in a large saucepan.
Cook for 2 - 3 minutes until rice looks milky.
Pour in wine.
Cook on high heat until absorbed, stirring non and then.
At this point add 1 ladleful of vegetable stock and simmer until absorbed, stirring now and then.
Continue adding broth, ladle by ladle, until rice is tender.
A couple of minutes before turning off your stove add puréed spinach.
Just before serving
- - Turn off the stove.
Let your risotto rest for few minutes before serving.
- - Serve accompanied by a little bowl full of grated Parmesan.
Every guest will be able to serve himself according to his own taste.
- - Serve spinach risotto hot or warm.
- - If you want, you can stir in soft cheese few minutes before turning off the stove.
You have a tastier and creamy risotto.
- - You can steam spinach in advance for a quicker recipe.
- - If you decide to use fresh spinach make the following steps.
Wash and let them cook directly in a pan without adding any water.
It takes a few minutes.
Then add to your risotto only 5 minutes before turning off the stove without processing them.
You can flavor your risotto with some olives, chopped sun-dried tomatoes and what your imagination suggests you.
Fresh spinach can be easily found at the market in spring and summer. If you use brown rice this is a perfect Mediterranean diet recipe.
- - This I have just explained is my simpler version of spinach risotto. But I often do it in a slightly different way. Rather than steam frozen spinach I cook them directly in the pan.
I put half the dose of olive oil, still frozen spinach, 2 halves of ready to eat dried tomatoes after chopping them, some green olives, a tablespoon of tomato paste, a drop of wine in a pan.
I cook on low heat until spinach are ready and well reduced.
I season to taste with salt salt and purée in a blender or food processor once lukewarm.
I continue my recipe as I've just described.
In this way I reduce slightly cooking time and my risotto has a slightly different taste.
- - This spinach risotto is ideal for your daily menu.
- - I prepare it for my get-togethers only when I plan a green-colored menu. But in this case I enrich my risotto with cheese.
- - I have to clarify immediately there is no cheese in nutrition facts of spinach risotto you can read above.
- - I would say my recipe for risotto with spinach is tasty but very controlled from nutritional point of view. It may be a low-calorie first course that also allows you to add another vegetable dish or a portion of raw ham (50g - 1 3/4 ounce) for example. And of course fresh seasonal fruit ;)
- - Do you want to know how nutritional values may change with the addition of cheese?
Let's begin with Parmesan. Each spoon increases your energy of 60 calories, protein of 5 grams and total fat of 4 grams.
If you decide to stir in 100g (3 1/2 ounces) soft cheese, here are its new nutrition facts per head.
calories: 440 kcal
total fat: 13.6g
What's up? nothing irreparable. You put the second course together with the first course;)
In other words, you have a great one-plate meal!
- - Fiber per serving: 2.8 grams
What's the right wine for " Spinach risotto "?
Collio Pinot bianco (white wine of Friuli- Venezia Giulia - Italian region) is very special with spinach risotto.