Risotto with leeks and carrots ( Risotto con porri e carote )
Our original home cooking
Risotto with leeks and carrots is a low-fat, vegetarian recipe. It can be an excellent solution for people on a diet orwho want to be fit. Its delicate flavor goes well with many dishes for a full menu, Italian-style composed by a starter, a first course (risotto), a second course (meat or fish dish) and a dessert.
It is also a Mediterranean diet recipe if made with brown rice or wholemeal farro grains in summer.
time: preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour 10 minutes
calories: 411 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 5
- 400g (14 ounces) long-grain, parboiled rice
- 400g (14 ounces) leeks
- 80g (2.8 ounces) fresh young onions
- 400g (14 ounces) carrots
- Some sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 stalk of celery
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 250ml (8 1/2 fluid ounces - 1 cup) dry white wine
- 1,5l (3.2 pints - 6 1/3 cup) vegetable stock
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
21 % -
Protein: 8.4 (g) 17 % GDA
Total fat: 10.5 (g) 16 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 75.4 (g) 28 % GDA
Sugars: 10.6 (g) 12 % GDA
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour 10 minutes
Download free PDF version (146 download).
Recipe for leek and carrot risotto
Preparation and cooking
- - Wash and peel carrots.
Steam them, about 15 minutes.
- - Prepare vegetable stock, following the instructions on the package if you use stock cube.
Remember to keep it boiling while cooking your risotto.
- - Peel leeks and onions and wash them.
Chop finely all these vegetables.
- - Put them in a large saucepan with olive oil and rice.
- - Cook until rice looks milky, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes.
- - Add wine and simmer until absorbed, stirring, on high heat.
- - Meanwhile put carrots through a sieve while still hot.
- - At this
point add puréed carrots and 2 ladlefuls of vegetable stock.
Reduce heat and simmer until absorbed, stirring.
Continue adding stock, ladle by ladle, until rice is tender.
- - Meanwhile wash parsley, pat dry with kitchen paper and chop.
Add it to your risotto few minutes before turning off the stove.
- - Turn off the stove.
Just before serving
- - Wait for a couple of minutes before serving.
- - Seve accompanied wit a little bowl, full of grated Parmesan. Everyone will be able to sprinkle it on the top.
- - You can stir in cream cheese, if liked. I remember you dairy products are to be included in Mediterranean diet (2 to 3 servings a day)
- - Remember to serve your risotto in flat plates in formal dinner party.
- - Risotto with leeks and carrots is a very delicate dish, ideal for your daily menu.
You can also choose it for a full, refined menu. In fact you can combine it easily with other dishes such as seafood. In this case, the doses are enough for most people.
- - Daily menu. Carrot-and-leek risotto is a vegan dish. Read its nutrition facts: it's a low-fat and low-protein recipe. Complete your menu with seasonal fresh fruit. Add raw, seasonal vegetables if you're still hungry. You can also choose boiled or grilled vegetable seasoned with a little olive oil. But consider that each tablespoon of olive oil provides 10 grams of fat and 90 calories. You risk to exceed the needs of calories for lunch.
I remember rice should be eaten preferably at lunch and the calories eaten at lunch should be 500 - 700 (30 - 35% of energy needs for an adult if his daily needs are about 2000 calories and he correctly divides his calories into 5 micro-meals).
At dinner you could eat a portion of meat or fish with raw or cooked vegetables and a portion of bread (50g - 1 3/4 ounce).
Here are doses per head. If you like the combination of its ingredients and would like to prepare it for your dinner or lunch, use these amounts per head: 80g (2.8 ounces) long-grain, parboiled rice, 80g (2.8 ounces) leek, 80g (2.8 ounces) carrot, 1 young onion, 300ml (10 fluid ounces or 1 1/3 cup) vegetable stock, 2 teaspoons olive oil and less than half a glass of wine.
- - As you can see it's a tomato-free recipe, ideal for people intolerant or alergic to tomatoes.
- - The risotto with leeks and carrots has only 4.9 grams of fiber. The recommended daily value is 30g.
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine remember you have to add 80-85 kcal per 100 ml.
- - I remember you our original home recipes can be made without salt. There is always a combination of flavors that substitutes salt. To look for other recipes of mine, look at our navigation bar and click on green button. You return to our home pega for Italian cooking :))
What's the right wine for " Risotto with leeks and carrots "?
My husband and I pair Riesling Italico Alto Adige (white wine from Italy) serving leek-and-carrot risotto.