Asparagus and scallop risotto ( Risotto agli asparagi e capesante )
Our original home cooking
This risotto dish with scallops and asparagus is a version of mine of the traditional asparagus risotto. It's a refined dish you can prepare for a celebration menu. In short, a dish for connoisseurs. In fact this risotto dish is cooked with asparagus cream and served accompanied by skewered scallops as you can see in the photo. Risotto with asparagus is a spring recipe if you want to use fresh asparagus.
time: preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 hour 10 minutes
calories: 414 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 500g (2.2 pounds) fresh asparagus
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) leek
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) shelled scallops
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- 15g (1/2 ounce) butter
- 2 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 280g (10 ounces) long-grain, parboiled rice
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces) white dry wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 500ml (1 pint - 2 cups) vegetable stock
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
21 % -
Protein: 19.6 (g) 40 % GDA
Total fat: 9.5 (g) 14 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 61.7 (g) 23 % GDA
Sugars: 8.2 (g) 10 % GDA
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 hour 10 minutes
Download free PDF version (147 download).
Asparagus-and-scallop risotto recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Begin with asparagus.
Trim off the bottom ends of their stalks that is their harder part.
It's enough to see where their green color begins to fade.
Wash them thoroughly.
Remove their spears at the top of the stalk and put them apart.
Bring asparagus stalks together again in a bundle.
Cut a piece of kitchen string long enough to wrap a couple of times around your bundle.
Tie your kitchen string into a knot to secure it and put your bundle in a deep pot (or in an asparagus steamer, if you have).
Be careful your bundle is well upright.
Add 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.
Turn down heat, cover with a lid and continue simmer until so tender to reduce them to puree.
- - Prepare broth.
To make risotto you'll need about 1 liter of broth.
Prepare it using asparagus cooking water.
Dilute it with the necessary water and bring to a boil.
Then add scallops (make this step even if you have frozen scallops) in boiling water, bring to a boil again and immediately remove them with a slotted spoon.
Taste your broth to season with salt.
- - Prepare risotto.
Slice leek finely and fry in olive oil over very gentle heat.
Add rice and toast, stirring often.
Add wine too and let it evaporate over high heat.
At this point begin to pour in broth, one ladle at a time, and cook rice following the instructions on the package.
A couple of minutes before finishing cooking, add asparagus puree too and stir.
Once turned off the stove, add more than one tablespoon of parsley and chives and stir thoroughly.
- - Meanwhile prepare scallops for skewers.
Melt butter in a frying pan without letting it brown.
Dip scallops first in melted butter and then in breadcrumbs mixed with part of the remaining herbs.
Thread scallops on 4 skewers.
Line a baking sheet with foil and lay skewered scallops on it.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
A few minutes before your risotto comes to ccomplete cooking, put all skewers in the oven and bake under the grill for a few minutes.
Heat asparagus tips in remaining butter.
Just before serving
- - Spoon risotto in every serving dish and garnish its surface with some tips and remaining herbs as you see in the picture.
Arrange a skewer of scallops on every dish and serve immediately.
- - If your spears are thick they may have tough skin. In this case it's necessary to peel their skin with a peeler.
- - You can serve asparagus-and-scallop risotto with Parmesan cheese. But remember to put grated Parmesan in a little bowl apart. Everyone will be able to serve himself according to his personal taste.
- - For a cremier risotto: add a couple of tablespoons mascarpone or other soft cheese once turned off the stove. But, alas, the calories and fat .... better not to talk about it :-)
- - You can plan a complete menu around this risotto dish. It may be a fish or assorted menu. But one thing is important: use different, seasonal, fresh ingredients.
Consult our directories for antipasto, sea fish, molluscs, shellfish, side dishes and desserts to find your favorite dishes but I recommend you not to make cakes with whipped cream. Whipped cream doesn't go well with fish! To better browse our website, look at navigation bar and click on "Italian cooking" if you lose your way :))
- - To reduce calories of asparagus and scallop risotto, I lowered slightly the amount rice. On the other hand it is balanced by the presence of scallops.
But as you've just read I suggest it for a special occasion. Special occasions are rare, aren't they? So you shouldn't worry about calories, fat and sugar in this case.
What's the right wine for " Asparagus and scallop risotto "?
My husband and I suggest to pair Pinot Grigio, white wine of DOC Collio of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, a wine particularly suitable for matching with vegetable soups, shellfish and seafood